cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec migration question

dce_support
Level 3
I am in the process of migrating our backup exec from our old server (windows 2000 box) to a newer server with windows 2008. When the migration is done the new server will be taking the name and ip address of the old server. Currently I have the Symantec Backup exec software installed and running on the new server with it's temporary name. I am wondering if I am going to have any issues when I rename this server. 

The agents that have been installed on client systems have been given both the new and old server names as media servers to report to, so I don't think there should be any problems there. I am just not sure if there is any other type of authentication that the application itself does between the server and the clients.

I don't think this is going to be an issue, but I am wondering if anyone out there has done something similar, and if they had any problems. 

Thanks, 
Frank

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

After  decomming the old server, and renaming the new, run BEUTIL to change the server name (and/or Domain) within BackupExec

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300838.htm