cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec_need to store more backed up data

JerryLP
Level 3

Hi,

I need to have my Backup exec to backup my data for more than one weeks, There is only data for one day which IO could restore from, Note that I backed up my data as follows >disk to disk and then disk to tape everyday, Please help

Jerry,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Consequently, the disk space will increase on the remote NAS and the backup to tape on a daily basis will take more than normal.

I'm not certain what you are asking, here

If you are using a policy to Duplicate to Tape, it doesn't matter how much total disk space is used on the B2D folder. and if you have specified the option to use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media for your Disk Media Set, after two weeks the data size on your B2D should be more or less constant, with slow growth if any at all (unless a LOT of new data is added to your backups every week)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What are you using for your backup, full backup or incremental backup?  You should be using full backup if you want to backup all your data.

JerryLP
Level 3

I use Full backup as backup method using archive bit, and please note that it creates a file name B2D000001 and so on...

Jerry

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There is only data for one day which IO could restore from

I believe you are checking in restore window under "View By Resource" tab. Check under View By Media. You can see all the media available for restores...

If you have only a single copy of backup set after running backup job more than once, problem will be with your media set & Job configrations.

Regards....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

There is only data for one day which IO could restore from,

Tape data or disk data?

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protectionb Period) for the disk media set and the tape media set?

JerryLP
Level 3

Hi,

The OPP i s set as follows : 1 hour and append period to 2 hours...

Tried hopelessly, but do not found a solution for my problem, please help

JerryLP
Level 3

I set all the jobs the same configuration and media set to 1 hour for OPP and append period to 2 hours,I set it to' Backup to Disk' on a folder container which is located on a remote NAS. The files which are being created are B2D00001,B2D00002 and to on, I checked on the 'View by Media' I saw onlyl one date.

Do you have any idea what might caused that issue on the job config and media set???

Regards,

Jerry

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

is that for the disk media set or the tape media set, or both

If you want to keep disk data for a week, set the disk media set properties to 6 days

Same for the tape media set

JerryLP
Level 3

How to set that, please be more specific,thanks

On what to set days, on OPP or append period?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From the Media Tab, right click the Media set you want to change, and select properties

Change the Overwrite and Append as you wish.  Again, I HIGHLY recomment using only overwrite for the Disk back devices, so use a 0 APP

JerryLP
Level 3

Hi,

I set the OPP for 2 weeks and Append period to 0 value, the backup to disk folder is situated on a remote NAS server. Consequently, the disk space will increase on the remote NAS and the backup to tape on a daily basis will take more than normal.

WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE????

Regards,

Jerry

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Consequently, the disk space will increase on the remote NAS and the backup to tape on a daily basis will take more than normal.

I'm not certain what you are asking, here

If you are using a policy to Duplicate to Tape, it doesn't matter how much total disk space is used on the B2D folder. and if you have specified the option to use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media for your Disk Media Set, after two weeks the data size on your B2D should be more or less constant, with slow growth if any at all (unless a LOT of new data is added to your backups every week)