cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec not overwriting

fabien_lesire
Level 2
 I'm using Veritas BE to regularly backup a number of folders on one of our servers.  On one server which we call the 'Fileserver1', there are 3 folders in particular which are about 100GB each. 

-  I have set up a seperate backup job for each folder which backs up to a seperate HDD (permanently attached).

-  If I go into the 'Job Setup', I currently have Backup Exec set to 'Overwrite Media' in the 'Device and Media - When this job begins' section.

-  The backup method selected is 'FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit'

However, the overwrite seems to happen.  It seems to just create new backup files to the point where the 500GB HDDs are full.  This only takes 4-5 days given the backup runs daily.  After this, the job fails continuously until I delete the old backup files and free up the space on the destination HDD.

As it stands it requires nurturing on a day-to-day basis and I feel as though I've tried pretty much every logical alternative setting I could find.  Yet, it could be something really simple somewhere!  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

p_jean
Level 3
hi fabien,
I beleive your problem is likely with your B2D (backup 2 disk) device and/or your media overwrite protection settings. This is a very common trip-up admin run into. You have several configuration settings that control how backup jobs/devices/media handle overwrite and append.

The Quick answer, you likely need to set your jobs to append to media then overwrite if no appendable media found. Additiona Things to consider;

1. The Backup device can be setup with a limit on each backup file created by BE. This will cause new files to be created, even for one backup job. i.e.. backup size is 200GB and the max file size is set to 100GB, you'd end up with 2 backup files for that single job. ( there are several other important settings for B2D devices as well, i highly suggest you look them over carefully)

2. Backup Media Sets, (this is likely where your confusion is coming in) your media is kept in a BackupMedia Set. This is a container that allows you to control overwrite and append periods for you media. i.e.. you may not want tapes overwritten for 2 weeks, even if the job says "overwrite". The media set configuration controls whether media is overwritable or appendable. Overwrite period for media starts from the time a job finishes to it. i.e.. if you start a job at 13:00 and it takes 2 hours to run, setting a 1 day overwrite protection on the media will cause it to be protected from overwrite until 15:00 the following day. So when your 13:00 jobs goes to run the next day, it can't overwrite the media (it's protected from overwrite until 15:00) Thus new media will be created on the B2D job.

3. Backup Job, where you can set overwrite/append etc... This setting for the job is independent of the media. If a job is set to only append to media, it will search for appendable media or fail if it cannot find any. If a job is set to overwrite, but no overwritable media is available (because the media set contains no overwritable media) your job will fail or new media will be created.

One thing you mentioned is you have three seperate jobs. So my thought is the following may be occurring; Job one runs, creates media001 and finishes. The Media Set is configured for 1 day overwrite, so the next two jobs (if set to only overwrite) start to run and first look for existing media to overwrite. Because your media set overwrite protection is set to X the existing media can't be overwritten, thus new media is created.

So, to fix your problem... look over the configuration items I mentioned. if you still need help answer the following questions for me;

1. Go to the Media tab, open properties for the media set in question and tell me what the overwrite and append periods are.

2. Go to the Devices tab and open the properties for your B2D device and tell me what your B2D max file size setting is set to.

3. How large are the jobs your running and how long is it taking? What days do they run?

Hope that helps

Thanks
Jean 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

What id the Media set properties..append Period and Overwrite Pritection Period...how many media sets are configured?

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi Fabien,
check Media-Ser properties also backup-to.disk folder options.
Also chek the jod job destination, maybe something is miss-configured

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Also check Options/Media Management

The option to "Use overwriteable media in the target media set  before scrach media" should be selected.  If the alternate ("Use scratch media before...") is selected, it doesn't make any differece what the OPP is set to, BackupExec will create new BKF files as long as there is disk space to do so 

p_jean
Level 3
hi fabien,
I beleive your problem is likely with your B2D (backup 2 disk) device and/or your media overwrite protection settings. This is a very common trip-up admin run into. You have several configuration settings that control how backup jobs/devices/media handle overwrite and append.

The Quick answer, you likely need to set your jobs to append to media then overwrite if no appendable media found. Additiona Things to consider;

1. The Backup device can be setup with a limit on each backup file created by BE. This will cause new files to be created, even for one backup job. i.e.. backup size is 200GB and the max file size is set to 100GB, you'd end up with 2 backup files for that single job. ( there are several other important settings for B2D devices as well, i highly suggest you look them over carefully)

2. Backup Media Sets, (this is likely where your confusion is coming in) your media is kept in a BackupMedia Set. This is a container that allows you to control overwrite and append periods for you media. i.e.. you may not want tapes overwritten for 2 weeks, even if the job says "overwrite". The media set configuration controls whether media is overwritable or appendable. Overwrite period for media starts from the time a job finishes to it. i.e.. if you start a job at 13:00 and it takes 2 hours to run, setting a 1 day overwrite protection on the media will cause it to be protected from overwrite until 15:00 the following day. So when your 13:00 jobs goes to run the next day, it can't overwrite the media (it's protected from overwrite until 15:00) Thus new media will be created on the B2D job.

3. Backup Job, where you can set overwrite/append etc... This setting for the job is independent of the media. If a job is set to only append to media, it will search for appendable media or fail if it cannot find any. If a job is set to overwrite, but no overwritable media is available (because the media set contains no overwritable media) your job will fail or new media will be created.

One thing you mentioned is you have three seperate jobs. So my thought is the following may be occurring; Job one runs, creates media001 and finishes. The Media Set is configured for 1 day overwrite, so the next two jobs (if set to only overwrite) start to run and first look for existing media to overwrite. Because your media set overwrite protection is set to X the existing media can't be overwritten, thus new media is created.

So, to fix your problem... look over the configuration items I mentioned. if you still need help answer the following questions for me;

1. Go to the Media tab, open properties for the media set in question and tell me what the overwrite and append periods are.

2. Go to the Devices tab and open the properties for your B2D device and tell me what your B2D max file size setting is set to.

3. How large are the jobs your running and how long is it taking? What days do they run?

Hope that helps

Thanks
Jean