cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec not seeing tapes if no inventory run

Jojodyne
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a weird problem on one of our client sites.

Freshly installed new Tandbger SCSI tape drive, Backup Exec 12.5. Everything working fine - succesful backups for two weeks.

Then teh job would ask for a tape, even though a tape was inserted. Running an inventory made the tape visible, but is a bit unwieldy.

Overwrite protection is set to NONE - job is set to overwrite, and media overwrite period is 6 days. (should not matter since overwrite protection is set to none).

I have scheduled an inventory to make this work, but none of our other clients ahve this problem.

When it started, we updated teh tape drivers, and applied the latest BUE patches. That sorted it for a while, but it came back.

Teh drive itself does nto show any errors, but I'm not sure if what I'm seeign in the GIU is 100% reliable.

Any ideas what's going wrong here?

Many thanks
Johan
2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Johan,

When a tape is changed, BEWS needs to know of that change, so a scan (if you use bar-codes), or an inventory accomplish this.
I've now created scheduled jobs on each of the sites I look after to run 1 hour before the backups start on a Monday. The only downside to this is that it relies on a site rep changing the tapes before this during the day.
If they don't (and it's Africa!), the inventory runs successfully, but no new tapes would be detected.
I've found a lot more success doing that than coming in the next day to see a couple of jobs requesting scratch tapes.

Laters!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Johan,

Any news here?