Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec numerous client

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

How many clients do you have per BE server ? I have 40 clients (VM) per BE server. Each VM is backed up thru its own job. Is it huge (I don't think so but let me know the community's opinion) ? "normal" ?

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

As long as your media server has enough RAM and CPU to handle the load, and your backups are completing in time, then 40 clients is fine.

My largest site backed up 26 servers at one stage onto an HP ProLiant DL385 G2 server with 8GB RAM. 2 x dual-core CPUs handled the load well. This backup was a mix of SAN and LAN.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

As long as your media server has enough RAM and CPU to handle the load, and your backups are completing in time, then 40 clients is fine.

My largest site backed up 26 servers at one stage onto an HP ProLiant DL385 G2 server with 8GB RAM. 2 x dual-core CPUs handled the load well. This backup was a mix of SAN and LAN.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Why do you backup each VM with its own job. Wouldn't it be easier to just back up the host with one job. This will backup all the VM's on this host

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

The customer decided to do this for diagnostic purpose : identifying wich VM failed to backed up

I guess, it would be easier to group VM in few jobs, so it would be simpler to manage BE