cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec "Not Responding"

Scott_Seltzer
Level 2
Partner
 For the past few days, whenever I start Backup Exec it loads partially, then immediately stops and switches to "not responding".  It does not seem to generate any errors that I can find, and never progresses past this point.  
In the "Applications" tab of Task Manager, I see two entries for backup exec, both identical except that one has the backup exec icon, the other has a default windows "blank window" icon. Both say Not responding.
The BkupExec.exe process is listed in processes.  All Backup Exec services are listed.
When I stop the Backup Exec Server service, the client almost immediately prompts me for username and password, when I put them in, it gives me an error saying that the service is not running (so clearly the client itself is still responsive).  If I open services and start all services, it connects right away and goes back to "not responding".
This started with 12.0, I just upgraded to 12.5 thinking that may solve the issue, but it did not.
I'm running Windows 2003 SBS SP2.  
Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?
6 REPLIES 6

chicojrman
Level 6
I would go through each one of the backup exec services and verify that you have the correct username/password combination in them. When you recieve this error go to your services and see which one is unresponsive or not started. Also check the event logs and supply a screen shot or more detail to the error.

Scott_Seltzer
Level 2
Partner
 There are no errors until I manually shut down the service.  Once I do that, I just get the standard error that means that the server service is not running.

HugBronx
Level 2
Partner
Help us, I think exist problem with CPS 12.5 running on the same backupexec server?

Not applicable
Hello Scot,

Please start all the BE services on the local system account and than open the BE console click on the network select the logon account click on edit and than retype the same password for the account, this will refresh all the setting and rights for that account.

once done that try restarting the BE services  using the domain account this should resolve the issue

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
you can try following this doc http://support.veritas.com/docs/312362
it might help

Daryl_Sensenig
Level 3

Thanks, Masti24by7, that fixed my problem. However, I did need to restart the server after I changed teh services to Local System.