cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec refusing to use appendable tapes

NoelTorres
Level 3

I have now administration of a pre-existent BE system (BE 15 Version 14.2) and I'm seeing on it a strange behaviour:

None of the Backup to tape jobs work. All of them stop forever asking for a overwritable media (Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.) but in the selected slots ([0001..0002], [0003..0004], etc. depending on the job) there are always appendable tapes.

This is not a case of backups spanning more than one tape: backups do not even start.

Also, I readed https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/BE-keeps-asking-for-overwriteable-media-even-they-are-loaded-... and reconfigured this BE to "replace recyclable before replace reusable in the group", but I do not know how that could help as jobs are configured to slots, not groups. The problem continues.

In resume: I have no backups to tape at all.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are all the jobs set to use the same media set as the tapes are in (in effect all the jobs that you want to append on  tape need to be set to use the same media set) - as you MUST use the same media set for appends to work

Also do the later jobs start before the earlier job finishes - as the decision on which tape to use for a later job might be being made whilst the tape is in use by an earlier job - and an in use tape is also not appendeable at that moment in time and cannot then be used  (even if it becomes appendable later)

Yes, tapes are in the same media set (namely "Keep data for 12 weeks" or "Keep Data for 4 weeks") as the job requests. All tapes in the slots are in the set configured for the job that uses that slot set.

On the other hand, the point about jobs starting before the tape becomes appendable is interesting. I'll check with a massive cancelation of waiting jobs and then restarting them  one by one, by hand, in a sensible order.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have that many jobs you might want to look at putting more of the selections into one job, as then they would follow serially within the job and not try to start a new job at the wrong time.