cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec runs slow, while taking backup of system state on a DC

Dsf
Level 2

Hi.

I'm having this annoying problem with taking backup of system state on a domain controler.
I've just reinstalled my backupserver with Win2008R2 SP1 (Standard) and Backup Exec 2010 R3 (SP1).

The domain controler I'm trying to backup, is installed on a Win2008R2 SP1.
The backup runs perfect when I haven't selected system state, but when I do, the job just hangs there, no error, just very very slow without finishing (stopped the job after 76 hours).

I have tried to change user on the backup exec agentservice on the DC, and ran the following on the DC as well: dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Does anyone have an/some idea(s) to what I can do?

Cheers, Nicolai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there was someone who posted yesterday regarding the same issue. Looks like some people have it, while others don't, and it's in the Known Issues section too. Head on over there and add your vote to it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/performance-issues-maybe-observed-when-backing-system-...

A work-around for now is to run the Windows Backup Utility and backup the System State of that server to disk, and then back that up using BE 2010 R3!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

System state of a DC takes a long time but 76 hours is too much.

Do you see any alerts in the alerts tab of BE console.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there was someone who posted yesterday regarding the same issue. Looks like some people have it, while others don't, and it's in the Known Issues section too. Head on over there and add your vote to it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/performance-issues-maybe-observed-when-backing-system-...

A work-around for now is to run the Windows Backup Utility and backup the System State of that server to disk, and then back that up using BE 2010 R3!

Dsf
Level 2

@Amol No, I don't have any errors there either.

@CraigV thank you for the work-around. I have voted on the error, and sumbitted the case to technical support.

If anyone else finds a fix, please let me know.