cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec server service does not start

nickfoster
Level 4
I recently upgraded our BE for Windows Servers version 9.0 to 9.1 on our Windows 2000 Server, patched to Service Pack 3 - the upgrade went smoothly, with no problems, and had been backing up using 9.1 with no problems.
This morning I restarted the server (Dell PowerEdge 4600) and now the BE Server service does not start - get the error "Could not start the Backup Exec Server service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.", and also in the Application Log the error "The Backup Exec Server service did not start. An internal error (14) occurred in object 13."
I tried to do a repair on the BE installation. I went into Add/Remove programs and I could not select the Change/Remove button for any of the installed applications - this was greyed out
Anyone come across this problem and managed to fix it ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

NICK
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
hi Nick,

there is a fix for this problem (Tech ID # 263295) which suggests re-registering the SCHEDMGRUR.DLL file. If it doesn't work, try below.

The fix for the Add/Remove programs problem is under article number 266668 in the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base. This suggests re-registering the APPWIZ.CPL control panel applet, but this did not work in our case, so we ran the in-place Windows 2000 upgrade (step 5 of the article) :

a) Run winnt32.exe from the \i386 directory on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM

b) When the Windows 2000 setup screen appears, select "Upgrade to Windows 2000"

c) Allow the installation to complete.

You may need to have your network card drivers handy, as we were prompted for the location of these.

Harry

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

THarry
Level 5
hi Nick,

there is a fix for this problem (Tech ID # 263295) which suggests re-registering the SCHEDMGRUR.DLL file. If it doesn't work, try below.

The fix for the Add/Remove programs problem is under article number 266668 in the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base. This suggests re-registering the APPWIZ.CPL control panel applet, but this did not work in our case, so we ran the in-place Windows 2000 upgrade (step 5 of the article) :

a) Run winnt32.exe from the \i386 directory on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM

b) When the Windows 2000 setup screen appears, select "Upgrade to Windows 2000"

c) Allow the installation to complete.

You may need to have your network card drivers handy, as we were prompted for the location of these.

Harry