cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec server service won't start after upgrade 16 to 20.1

Kobusdewin
Level 3

After upgrading version 16 to 20.1 the Backup Exec server service won't start. Message: The Backup Exec Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Open a case by logging into Support.veritas.com

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Gurvinder

whats the error in the event viewer -> application logs
Was the Issue present before the upgrade ?
can you also provide the output of beserver.exe --console
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100019347

Problem found - I installed the Managed Backup Exec Server option. I only have one stand-alone Backup Exec server. No I must unstall this option.

I found article ID 100031115 - but the Managed Backup Exec server option stays grayed out.

Disabled virusscanner - unstalled Backup Exec - reboot - installed Backup Exec. All working fin. But: all of my jobs, history and storage are gone.

Gurvinder
Before uninstall you should have backed up the data and catalog folder. But now since they are gone, you can reimport yourstorage. After import run Inventory and catalog to generate the catalogs for the backup set. Since the jobs are saved in BE database and that is gone due to uninstall you will need to recreate the jobs.

The new version 20.1 installs in the ..\program files\Veritas folder, where the former version 16 installed in the ..\program files\Symantec folder. Therefor I still have both the catalog and data folder available.

Can you please point out how to import?

Gurvinder
I am hoping the bedb is from 20.1. If yes, then you can stop BE services and rename existing data and catalog folder in Veritas\backup Exec folder and copy the ones from symantex\backup Exec folder.

bedb is from version 16. No I'm uninstalling version 20.1 and re-installing version 16, hoping to connect to the 'old' data.

Gurvinder
Patch version of bedb and BE 16 should match.ensure to patch the BE 16 to the patch level it was earlier. If you need any help you can open a tech support case.

Where and how can I open a tech support case?

Now i'm encoutering an error: eventID 57802 The Backup Exec Server Service did not start.  An internal error (10) occurred in object 13. 

When I look it up via google i come across article ID:100007915. The mentioned path is valid and the file is in the folder. When I try to manually register the file via regsvr32 I get the message: the module c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\u2lbe9.dll was loaded but the entry point dllregisterserver was not found. Make sure that c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\u2lbe9.dll is a valid dll or ocx and then try again.

By the way - a repair installation did not solve this problem.

Gurvinder
Open a case by logging into Support.veritas.com