cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec slow job rates

josberube
Level 2

Hello I am having an issue with one of my servers running backup exec 2012. We have 9 servers all over the world and each of them run daily backups to local tapes. All the servers are configured the same and have the same settings on the backup exec jobs but one of the servers is running at a much lower job rate than the others. We backup the two local drives, domino databases and daos files, as well as sql server and system state. Most of my servers complete in under 3 hours running at greater than 2000 mb/min but the one having the problem runs for 13 hours and maxes out at just under 700 mb/min but usually closer to 400-500 mb/min. I have recreated the job to make sure the settings are correct and I don't get any differance in speed. I dropped the system state backup to get the job under 10 hours so it didn't impact the site or the integrity of the backup but I want to figure out what is causing the slowdown. The server is the same hardware and configuration as my other servers so im stumped as to why it isn't getting the same speeds.

Any ideas will help, thanks very much.

3 REPLIES 3

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

You can try a couple of things to hopefully help find the cause. First, lets eliminate the Tape drive as the cause of the slowdown. Create a Disk Storage device (just for testing) and run the same backup job. If it runs at the same speed (roughly) then we can assume that the tape device is fine.

Next eliminate the network. Copy the C$ from the machine to the local machine in a temp folder. What are the network speeds of that copy? I had a problem with my network and when copying files and folder it took a few minutes for the slow down to show up over the network, but I was able to determine it was the network.

Lastly, try backing up each resource as a separate job. So C: as one, E: as one, Domino as one, etc... See if it's a specific resource  causing the issue.

I did the last step the other day and it was consistently slow across all the different jobs, system state was slower than the others but the others were still not up to par with my other servers. I will look into the other options, thanks for the ideas. 

josberube
Level 2

So I got really picky and went through every setting on the server that is giving me issues and compared it to a couple of my other ones that are not. I noticed that the virtual memory was not as large on the one giving me an issue, so I increased the page file. After a restart that also installed updates it ran decently well (around 6 hours instead of 10) for one backup. Today it is back to running at its slow speeds and the page file is still where it was when it ran decently. Just giving an update, I thought it was fixed so I didn't do any other tests on it because its a pain when the server is 13 hours ahead of me and I have to work around their work schedule and still get the daily backups in so I can only do so much testing a day.