cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec tape drive selection

almost_there
Level 3

Does anyone know how BackupExec 2014 detemines which tape drive to use for a job? For instance, my tape library has 4 drives and I just recently had to replace 2 of them. Backup jobs are currently only utilizing the 2 older drives and not the new ones. I can run test jobs to these new drives and they work fine, but our scheduled jobs are not using them. Before the replacement, drive selection seemed more random. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

almost_there
Level 3

Ok, I did this and got the message - "Ready;No eligible devices available." Earlier I stated in error that the jobs were pointed to the library; they're actually pointed to partitions within the library. Anyways, I got to looking at the partitions and noticed that the two new drives were not a part of each partition. So I added them and the jobs now appear to be running like they should.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

First, you would need the Library Expansion Option for the usage of additional 3 drives (First drive in a library does not require a license)

Second, does your backup target the drive specifically or the library itself ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you should assume that if the OP's environment worked properly with the 4 older drives, that they had LEO licenses already installed.

Thanks!

almost_there
Level 3

Yes, we have the necessary licenses installed to use all four drives. The jobs target the library itself and this has never been an issue before the drive replacement. And there may not even be an actual issue here, but I was just wondering what kind of logic was behind the tape drive selection. Thanks.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The drive selection is psuedo-random.

To confirm if the new drives will be used by your old jobs, put one/both of the old drives in a "paused" state, then run an old job.  If the job runs using a new drive, you are good.  If the job goes queued, then I would suggest checking that job's device targets (a pool or the whole library, etc).  You may need to recreate the job if somehting is wonky, but in general replacing a drive should be transparent as long as BE services are restarted.

almost_there
Level 3

Ok, I did this and got the message - "Ready;No eligible devices available." Earlier I stated in error that the jobs were pointed to the library; they're actually pointed to partitions within the library. Anyways, I got to looking at the partitions and noticed that the two new drives were not a part of each partition. So I added them and the jobs now appear to be running like they should.