cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - tapes now labeled as do not overwrite?

cjlatta
Level 2

I have a set of 10 backup tapes that I switch each night (week 1 is my A set and week 2 is my B set).  I run a full backup of my server each night.  The tape set was working fine, but in the last few days I'm getting the error to insert an overwriteable media.  Today I finally had a chance to troubleshoot this and I've tried inserting various of my backup tapes to see what would start the backup successfully.  Each of the first 3 tapes I tried all said to insert overwriteable media and ejected (rejected?) the tape.  I tried tapes from each of the A and B sets with the same results.  A couple of weeks ago, I had removed a tape from rotation because it didn't seem to be backing up properly so I knew it hadn't been used in a couple of weeks.  I just put that in and now my backup is running (yes, I know it should run at night, but I'm just trying to get something to backup successfully).

So I think the problem has to do with the media set, but I don't know how to change the tape(s) so I can overwrite it.  I am fine with data being overwritten each night in each 2 week cycle.  I don't think that I changed anything in the program, so I'm really surprised I'm having this issue.  What do I need to do to get this to work on a nightly basis?  How do I change the tape status?

I'm running Backup Exec 11, I believe.  I know I'm not at the most recent version.  I also know that I have enough knowledge to really screw something up and not enough knowledge to fix it.

I hope this is enough information.  I've never needed to use the forums - thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can check the "Overwrite protected untill" attribute value in the media properties. If the media inserted is not overwritable/recyclable, BE will not use that media for overwrite operations. If you are OK with overwriting data on a particular media, move it to SCRATCH media set and then run the backup job. Also change the media set properties (OPP and AP) according to your retension requirements, number of media you have and backup data size, so that you no need to move the media manually into scratch media set for BE to overwrite them . 

Also how many tapes your each set contains? If you are using a tape for each days backup, choose OPP 13 days and AP 1 hour/None.

Regards....

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can check the "Overwrite protected untill" attribute value in the media properties. If the media inserted is not overwritable/recyclable, BE will not use that media for overwrite operations. If you are OK with overwriting data on a particular media, move it to SCRATCH media set and then run the backup job. Also change the media set properties (OPP and AP) according to your retension requirements, number of media you have and backup data size, so that you no need to move the media manually into scratch media set for BE to overwrite them . 

Also how many tapes your each set contains? If you are using a tape for each days backup, choose OPP 13 days and AP 1 hour/None.

Regards....

cjlatta
Level 2

This sounds very do-able.  Thanks.  I'll give this a try.  I do have a questions:

how do I move it to Scratch media set?  Scratch is a new term for me.

I have 1 tape for each day's backup.  5 tapes in set A and 5 in set B

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Right-click on the media and associate it with the scratch media set.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Managing your data section of the Admin Guide.

cjlatta
Level 2

Thank you all. 

Kiran - your reply gave me the confidence to move the media set into my "daily backup tapes" set (which I didn't know I had until I started looking around after your reply) and I had a successful backup run last night.  I'm "assuming" this will continue through the rest of the media.  I will mark your reply as the solution for me.

PKH - Is the admin guide online or in paper version?  I would love to look at such a guide - it would definitely help.  I will also mark your reply as a solution - the right-clicking always helps to figure things out.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can download the admin guide from here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2211

Regards...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For any version of BE, the Admin Guide is in the BE installation directory.  There is no need to download it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

if the user includes it during the installation.... Anyway most of the users does, but incasewink

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Installing the manual is not a choice during the install process.