cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec threatcon.zip issue

Lorenzo77
Level 2
Hello,
we have some backup exec 12.5 running on our network, but one of this has a problem.
I found in c:\temp a lot of folders (a new folder is created every 5 minutes) with a file called threatcon.zip.
The server is connected to the network (I also tried to put securityresponse.symantec.com to 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file) and Symantec Endpoint Protection Client is correctly installed on the server.
I didn't find a solution to stop this thing.
Is there a solution for this issue?

Thank you very much,
Lorenzo
6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Symantec are currently looking into this issue - the alert every 24hours in the BackuP Exec console itself shoudl no longer be appearing, but the polling every 5 minutes is still under review.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Got a customer without SEP installed, but ThreadCon keeps generating the .zip file every 5 minutes...

Colin_Weaver
It is not related to SEP - Backup Exec has a mechanism to run a backup Job if the overall threatcon levels we publish are increased in severity - obviously we have to poll to check the status of this. In version 12.0 this mechanism existed but required SEP to be installed - in version 12.5 you no longer need SEP for this functionality - hence it is not related to SEP.

We are working on a solution that only polls when jobs are configured to start in this way.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
First of all, thank you for the information.
But I know how it works.
But does this mean it is "by design" that BE creates this threatcon.zip files every 5 minutes and currently can not be disabled/stopped?
This fills up the C:\ drive on a customer system and he is not very amused about it. ;)

Colin_Weaver
I would not describe it as by design as otherwise we would not be working to provide a solution to the problem.

Justin_Bell
Level 4
Have there been any updates on this issue?  We are having the same problem.