cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec two tapes available, but will not use both.

alphayellow
Level 3

I have a Windows 2003 server with an internal DLT drive.

I installed Backup Exec 2010 on it and I back up my network servers on that machine.

The capacity of the DLT tape is not enough to run a full backup job on one tape, so someone would have to switch tapes during the job to perform a full back, and then again during the verify.

We had an LTO drive available, so we added a scsi controller, and the LTO drive to the server.

After that we installed it in Backup Exec, and added to the "All devices" pool.

Then we configured the backup jobs to use the "All devices" pool when performing backup jobs.

The expectation was that with an ovewritable tape in  each drive, the backup job would start writing to one tape drive, and switch to the other tape drive when the tape filled up. This was going to solve the issue of having to switch tapes in the middle of jobs.

Did not work!

The full backup job starts, then when the tape is full, instead of switching to the other available drive, it stops and requests a new tape.

VERY annoying...

How can I fix that behaviour?

Thanks-you.

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

When the job spans over multiple tape BE always looks for an overwritable media, if no overwritable

media is available the job will remain in queues status requesting for media.

alphayellow
Level 3

So normal behaviour SHOULD be BE switching devices during the job?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Switching tape drives is not possible in Backup Exec

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This is known as a "Cascaded Drive Pool", and the capability is not supported by 2010

There is a thread in the "ideas"  area.  If it gets enought "thumbs up" this may be re-introduced in a future build  

alphayellow
Level 3

So they removed the cascaded drive pool feature...

darn.

Can I get the same type of functionality from a Library Simulater pool?