cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v12.5 and NetApp Filer Error

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Hi,

Earlier today, I updated our Backup Exec server from v12.0 to v12.5.  I've also installed Service Pack 3.  I also have an HP 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader (Ultrium 920) tape drive attached to a NetApp S550 (formerly StoreVault) device.  We are using the ndmp protocol to perform the backups.

When I perform a backup or restore I get the following in the NetApp log:

Sat Jan  9 16:10:47 CST [tape_admin:error]: adpch_cmdblk[1]: invalid buflist on 1.4 (0x07013d10,0x08,0).
Sat Jan  9 16:10:47 CST [scsi.cmd.adapterFatal:error]: Tape device 1.4: Adapter fatal error: HA status 0x3: cdb 0x08.
Sat Jan  9 16:11:45 CST [HTTPPool02:info]: httpd.admin: getpeername() failed in protocol access control with Socket is not connected.
Sat Jan  9 16:16:16 CST [tape_admin:error]: adpch_cmdblk[1]: invalid buflist on 1.4 (0x070257f0,0x08,0).
Sat Jan  9 16:16:16 CST [scsi.cmd.adapterFatal:error]: Tape device 1.4: Adapter fatal error: HA status 0x3: cdb 0x08.
Sat Jan  9 16:23:51 CST [tape_admin:error]: adpch_cmdblk[1]: invalid buflist on 1.4 (0x070218f0,0x08,0).
Sat Jan  9 16:23:51 CST [scsi.cmd.adapterFatal:error]: Tape device 1.4: Adapter fatal error: HA status 0x3: cdb 0x08.

Backup Exec says the job completes successfully, but I'm wondering what is causing the problem.  I never had this problem with Backup Exec v12.0.  Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
I was unable to figure out what was causing this issue.  We decided to remove the tape drive from the NetApp device and attach it to a Backup Exec Server.  Everything seems to be working, though full backups take forever.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Scott,

I'd start by suggesting you download the latest drivers for your hardware corresponding to BEWS 12.5 SP3. This normally gets released around the same time as the actual service pack. Install it, and rerun the backup again.

Laters!

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
Hi CraigV

Would those drivers be found on Symantec's website?  I found the following: 

Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers revision 2213 hotfix 336087, Device Driver Installer DDI20091015 (October15th, 2009) - 32bit download.

Is this what you are talking about?  If so, do I need to restart the server after installing it or just the Backup Exec service?

I also forgot to mention that the adapter this is referring to is the SCSI adapter in which the tape drive is attached.

Thanks,

Scott

CraigV
Hi Scott,

That would be it.
Chances are that you don't need to do a restart after installing device drivers if you don't select the option to delete old devices.
See if you get the error again.
If you do, try getting hold of the SCSI card's latest drivers, and install them. For this you will need a server restart.

Craig

CraigV
Any news here Scott?

Scott_Bailey
Level 4
I was unable to figure out what was causing this issue.  We decided to remove the tape drive from the NetApp device and attach it to a Backup Exec Server.  Everything seems to be working, though full backups take forever.

Thanks for the help.

Scott