cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v12 admin console login prompt

Peter_McMonagle
Level 3
When starting the admin console on a workstation the default login is always to the local machine.  In previous versions of BE this "remembered" the last BE server you logged in to.  Please can this be changed back so that the prompt again "remembers" the last server used.

This request is to ease the use of the console from remote workstations in order to remove the necessity of having to login to the server to administer backups, this makes for a more secure environment and a more standard server build.
12 REPLIES 12

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I agree with this Smiley Happy

Mr_Patrick
Level 3
I absolutely agree, and I would go one step further.  Why not give users a choice to cache their logon credentials, along with the server.  This way, the admin console would remember the last server used, and if the user chose to cache their username and password, it would log you into the server automatically.  In many environments, like ours, there is not a need for the extra security supplied by the BE console logon.  I would love to cache my username and password to my workstation or my windows profile.

NEDC
Level 4
I would like to see this also.  This is more of a put back what you took away request.

JJJ
Not applicable
I would really like to see this added back

dfosbenner
Level 4

And while you're at it, PLEASE PLEASE add previously used AD Domains to be retained in the "Domain" dropdown box.  Presently, the domain box on lists the local domain.  Every time I need to connect to a media server outside the current domain, I have to manually type it.  It's a no brainer, these domains should be retained.  I manage multiple media servers in multiple domains from one client.  Having to retype domain names every day, week after week...very annoying !!

Also, once logged on, the "Network" menu lists preiviously connected to servers, but again doesn't "remember" the domain they are in.

Cached credentials would be a huge benefit as mentioned above.

Nigel_Sinclair
Not applicable

I would very much like to see this feature repaired also.  Hotfix? Service Pack?

Might there be a registry entry that could be used to set a preferred server (at least)

If so, does anyone know where this would be found?

Rob5690
Level 2

It would be great for the remote Console to have this option or at least have a tutorial to edit the list.. This is an obvious bug that needs to be fixed.. Or at the least, provide us with an updated tutorial to the below article that can workwith BackUp Exec 12:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230872.htm

BackupExec 11d did NOT have this problem. The Remote Administration Console only loaded the servers you needed, or that were currently active. Having your local machine in the selection list is just useless and a burden. Please fix orupdate the article above. 

dfosbenner
Level 4
This thread started 6 months ago.  I just installed BE 12.5 and guess what?  None of the issues mentioned herein are addressed.  Thanks for listening Symantec. 

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

David and All,

Thanks for posting the feedback. The comments help us understand how you use the software, and where its shortcomings are. We do watch the forums, and I have already passed this information along. We do appreciate your support and comments.

Thanks,

Nick

Rob5690
Level 2

WOW!! such a informative reply by our friends at Symantec... a fix would have been better..

THANKS NICK!!!

Rob5690
Level 2
Still waiting on a FIX here guys!! this Post has been going for a while now...

dfosbenner
Level 4
This thread was started 14 months ago.  SP2 has been released, it's still not fixed.  I've given up on this one.

When I switch all my servers over to a new product, the complete lack of response from Symantec to this and other issues will be one of the reasons why.  Unbelievable.

Specifically, this isn't fixed:
"And while you're at it, PLEASE PLEASE add previously used AD Domains to be retained in the "Domain" dropdown box. Presently, the domain box on lists the local domain. Every time I need to connect to a media server outside the current domain, I have to manually type it. It's a no brainer, these domains should be retained. I manage multiple media servers in multiple domains from one client. Having to retype domain names every day, week after week...very annoying !!

Also, once logged on, the "Network" menu lists preiviously connected to servers, but again doesn't "remember" the domain they are in."