cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v2v supported?

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Does Backup Exec support v2v (virtual to virtual conversion of VMs)? I don't think this is supported using the hypervisor agents but I think if you install the windows/linux agent inside a VM running on a VMware ESX hypervisor and take a backup of that VM and restore that VM to a Hyper-v host, it would work I think? We often toute p2v but not v2v so I'd appreciate the thoughts on this. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can do a remote agent backup of the critical parts of the VM itself (drives, System State etc) which in effect means you run a physical 'style' backup of the VM and then use P2V to restore into the other Hyper-Visor. However you might have an issue because the VM itself will have the tools package for the original virtual environment installed and that might cause a conflict in the new hyper-visor which you would have to resolve yourself.

There is no direct Virtual Agent Backup convert to different Hyper-Visor ability within Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

You can do a remote agent backup of the critical parts of the VM itself (drives, System State etc) which in effect means you run a physical 'style' backup of the VM and then use P2V to restore into the other Hyper-Visor. However you might have an issue because the VM itself will have the tools package for the original virtual environment installed and that might cause a conflict in the new hyper-visor which you would have to resolve yourself.

There is no direct Virtual Agent Backup convert to different Hyper-Visor ability within Backup Exec.

one comment about this. I think what you mention below is very important about VMware tools causing a conflict in the new Hyper-v hypervisor but this kind of thing should be documented somewhere I would think (ex. KB)

Colin_Weaver

It would not be necessarily be documented by us as it as really a problem between Microsoft and VMware