cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v8.6 with v10d

JenMildner
Level 2
Hello,

I have a server running BE 8.6 and it is only backing up itself. The job takes over 20hr to finish since it runs onto two tapes.
We have since built another server & it uses  v10d. I want to put the second tape in this server and split the job up. However, I cannot see the other server as it needs the remote agents installed. If I push out the remote agents from the 10d server to the server running v8.6 will this screw up the original jobs and backup exec software on the current server?

Jen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

p_jean
Level 3
Another option would be to upgrade the 8.6 machine to 10d and install the CASO (Centralized Administration Server Option)

This will allow you to do quite a few things such as:

Centralized management for both media servers (ie. selection lists, policies, jobs can be created from a single instance of Remote Administration Console)
Centralized Catalogs (All catalogs are stored on the Central Admin Server regardless of which media server the job runs on)

And here is the best part... You can have jobs utilize the tape drives on both servers... so if you take your backup job of the current "8.6 server" and cut it up into a two pieces you can run both parts of the job at the same time to different tape drives on different servers.

Just an idea I though I would kick around as I do it here for ease of management primarily but also for the aforementioned reason in a few cases.

CASO Information can be found in the Administrator's Guide

Jean

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

simon_st
Level 3
hi, Yes it will.

Simon

Carls
Level 4
You won't be able to have both a 10d agent and 8.6 main on the same machine without causing problems. Why not let the 8.6 machine backup itself, and have the 10d machine backup itself, and anything other than the 8.6 machine?

Carl

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Jen,

Best bet would be to rather upgrade to 10D on that first server as well, assuming you have 2 tape drives.
Alternatively, look into splitting your backup job into an Incremental/Differential backup, instead of a full backup, unless you need Full backups to happen. These backups will only backup changes made since the previous day, or since the last full backup.
Other alternatives, which would cost money, include buying a bigger capacity tape drive that will make sure you don't need to have a more complex backup setup in place, or look into upgrading to a newer version of BEWS like BEWS 2010 that can deduplicate data to disk before streaming off to tape!

Laters...

p_jean
Level 3
Another option would be to upgrade the 8.6 machine to 10d and install the CASO (Centralized Administration Server Option)

This will allow you to do quite a few things such as:

Centralized management for both media servers (ie. selection lists, policies, jobs can be created from a single instance of Remote Administration Console)
Centralized Catalogs (All catalogs are stored on the Central Admin Server regardless of which media server the job runs on)

And here is the best part... You can have jobs utilize the tape drives on both servers... so if you take your backup job of the current "8.6 server" and cut it up into a two pieces you can run both parts of the job at the same time to different tape drives on different servers.

Just an idea I though I would kick around as I do it here for ease of management primarily but also for the aforementioned reason in a few cases.

CASO Information can be found in the Administrator's Guide

Jean

p_jean
Level 3
 hi Jen,  any update of this...?