cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec vs. Windows backup utility

Level 2
I have a general question about whether or not Backup Exec software is truly needed in my situation. I called Veritas Sales but they could not give me any specifics as to why I should buy the new version, or how it would benefit my situation.

We have been using Backup Exec 8.6 for a few years now on a single Windows 2000 server. This server also hosted my MS Exchange server. We are now configuring two new servers to transition our domain to, mainly because we want to have a dedicated Exchange server and a dedicated data server. I have come to find out that we now need to have an additional remote agent license for our now separate Exchange server, IN ADDIITION to the Exchange Agent. We originally only purchased a single copy of Backup Exec 8.6 and a single Exchange agent. I was under the impression that the Exchange agent INCLUDED a remote agent (like version 9.1 does), but apparently it does not in version 8.6. So now, my only choice is to upgrade to the latest version of Backup Exec and spend $700-$800 in order to have my Exchange server backed up ( I apparently can no longer purchase a remote agent for version 8.6 according to Veritas Tech Support). My real question is this: in my situation where I only have two W2K servers, and only one tape drive, do I really need all of the advanced features that Backup Exec offers? The basic Windows Backup software that comes with Windows 2000 server appears to do the job just fine, at least in my test environment. Does anyone have any experience with using the Windows backup utility exclusively? Or, does anyone have any advice on why I should NOT go with the Windows backup utility and why I should go ahead and spend the money on the new Backup Exec software?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
From my experience of using both (we've got some backup systems using Backup Exec, and some using NTBackup), I would prefer to go with Backup Exec if I had the choice.

I've never actually tried using NTBackup to backup a remote machine, so I can't really comment on that, but I was under the impression that it couldn't handle it, however I could be wrong, I'm also unsure how it handles backing up Exchange.

What I do know is that NTBackup does indeed work, and it does do the job it is designed for, however the problems come when things don't work.

Firstly, on the one occasion that I did have to do a restore from NTBackup, it was an absolute nightmare. I had lots of problems getting it to recognise and catalogue the information in the backup so I could run the restore. It did eventually work, but took a lot longer then it would have taken with BEWS.

Secondly, if you were planning to backup the remote server locally, and then move the backup file to the other machine to be backed up, I should point out that for some reason, NTBackups .bkf files don't like being moved around a network. I don't know why, but it is a known problem. I found myself in a situation once where I had to find a utility on the net to allow me to access the .bkf file directly, and restore the required files from it by hand. A challenging, though not overly enjoyable experience.

Thirdly, once you have done a backup, you obviously want to be able to confirm that it has worked successfully. NTBackups reporting features are extremely limited at best, making it difficult to find out if the backup has been successful, and if not what caused the problem. Compare this to Backup Execs easily readable output, and over time the extra time you end up spending checking the information might make the price saving you make irrelevant.

Finally, you don't have any of the reporting information relating to tape usage, soft and hard errors etc with NTBackup, which can be very useful when you trying to diagnose the cause of a failure.

I hope that helps.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
In Exchange 2000 and 2003 installations, the Exchange Agent provides support for:
--- Backing up and restoring Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 resources.
--- Selecting storage groups for backup and restore, or selecting one or more databases
within the storage group for backup and restore.
--- Increased performance of mailbox backups through:
- Incremental and differential backups.
- Individual mailbox backup and restore.
- The ability to globally exclude or include specified subfolders in each mailbox for backup and restore operations.
--- Single-instance storage for message attachments.
--- The ability to back up only a single instance of a message attachment.

- Individual public folder backup and restore with the same capabilities that are available for mailbox backup and restore.
- Recovery of individual databases or storage groups using the Recovery Storage Group feature of Exchange 2003.
--- Backup of remote exchange server through backup exec.
This is just to name a few possibilities which can be achieved by using Exchange agent over NTBACKUP.

We hope this will help.

sonnyD
Not applicable
I was using NTBackup exclusively on my network. I have nothing nice to say about the product and its reliability. For financial reasons I continued using the wretched application until I was eventually forced onto bigger and better things. Apparently there is a flaw with Windows 2003 backup see Microsoft Article ID: 817688
In order to resolve the Windows flaw you must pay for the hotfix or wait until the service pack release.

dmschnack
Level 2
The Exchange Agent comes with a Remote Agent License, so you shoudl NOT have to purchase them seperatly. Contact the Sales department at 800-327-2232 to dicuss this.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more queries.