cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec will not accept new agent license

Cbortz
Level 3
I have a server running Win2003 Server SP2, with Backup Exec v12 on it. When I try to install a new agent license by clicking on tools, install agents etc, the program just sits there idle. Nothing ever comes up or errors, I have contacted symantec support via phone and their only solution is to remove and reinstall the product.

Wanted to try here and see if anyone has had this issue before and found a fix for it.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Cbortz
Level 3
Additionally I have tried to reinstall the product over itself and the same results, no response from the setup.exe after it is ran.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Sounds like you could have a database error there...start by running BEutility.exe and then run the DB Repair tool.
Once done, try again...post the results here.

Cbortz
Level 3
Ok, I ran the BEutility and then selected all media servers, right clicked on the server, and then clicked on repair database. It went through its process and then finished and just had an ok button to click there was no report or errors generated.

CraigV
Cool...now try adding the licenses again...

Cbortz
Level 3
Licenses still cannot be added, after following the manual removal process given to me by symantec then rebooting the server and trying to reinstall I get a setup.exe process that spools then drops. I am now without backup services on this server and must have them, argh!

CraigV
Mmm...sounds like they helped stuff it up even further.
If you go into Add/Remove Programs, can you run a repair on the application from there?

Cbortz
Level 3
Well that wouldn't do anything craig as when i try add/remove it just says the install couldnt be repaired/removed but do I want to remove the icon. Finally after 4.5 hours on the phone with symantec got somewhere, had to install the MSI cleaner utility and then REMOVE the symantec backupexec instance in that program. That finally allowed it to install but not without giving me an install error most of the way through the install. Which looks like it might be a problem with SQL Server now, not sure after the long call with symantec yesterday I am waiting for them to call me back this morning to hopefully wrap this up.