cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec with Windows 2000 Server to backup remote Linux servers

Golgo13
Level 3
I was wondering what agents are required to run Backup Exec on a windows 2000 server to backup remote linux servers? Do you need a remote agent on the the windows server, the linux server, or both?
Thanks!

Message Edited by Golgo13 on 01-17-2008 05:42 PM
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You just have to install Backup Exec on the Windows server, then install a linux agent on the linux server.

Golgo13
Level 3
Thanks for responding.
Backup Exec 11D Build
Have another question related to this though. At this point, I have Backup Exec installed on a Windows 2000 server system with a local installation set. I am trying to backup from our servers using linux agents but for some reason our Linux Server is not listed under the Backup Selection List options. This is when you click Backup --> New Backup --- > And the selection list appears to choose which entries you would like to backup.
I know usually it should say "Linux Servers" to expand and choose but that it is not appearing.

We have RALUS setup on our remote server and we have beremote installed on the windows server. Since this question is about adding a server to the Resource selection ..How can I also remove one? Thanks
-Ben
Feel free to post me here or you can email benjamin@hydranetwork.com
Also,
You can call me too it can be faster: 310-659-5755
I appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Ben

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Check to make sure that you do have the ralus license installed on the media server.  Also make sure that you have configured the ralus agent to advertise to the media server.

To remove a server listed under favorites you should be able to just right click on the server and select delete or remote.

Mike_Delamater
Level 3
Where can I find the agent itself and instructions to install on my linux machine?  I have a license now, but a search of the knowledge base was fruitless, and my reseller has not returned my emails as of yet.

I do not have an install CD for 11d.  I downloaded the upgrade and I cannot find anything that remotely resembles an agent installer file of any kind.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Message Edited by Mike Delamater on 01-30-2008 12:48 PM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You can download it from either backupexec.com or fileconnect.symantec.com.

If you go to backupexec.com select the backup exec for windows servers trial version.  When you get to the last page where you can select the package to download one of them will be the RALUS agent.

As for instructions on installing the agent, check page 939 of the 11d admin guide

Mike_Delamater
Level 3
You are my new best friend.  LOL

I spent hours searching yesterday...