cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec won't backup ESXI

infrasolutions
Level 3

Hi everyone, I have a windows server with backup exec on it and I'm trying to backup the VM on VMware ESXI. We bought a license for vmware backup agent.

One thing to know, all my VMs are Linux, mostly debian 8

I gave the right credentials for Logon Accounts. BE is able to show me a list of the VMs on my ESXI server. When I select one test VM for backup and I launch a FULL backup it almost automatically fails with different error codes. Here one of them.

Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine no longer exists or may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.
Final error category: Resource Errors

When I edit the job > Test/edit credentials, some of my machines apears "offline or in an unknown state" even though they are running.

I didn't know if the virtual machines needed the Linux agent so I tried installing it on one of them. It wasn't working. I tried to add the same Linux machine to be backedup with the agent withtout behing a child of my ESXI server it worked.

So, I really don't know why the backup are not working. Thank you for your help !

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Turn off all the GRT options in the job and try again.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using the free ESXi or have you licensed it to include the Storage/Backup API ability - basically you need two licenses to backup ESXi owned VMs, one in Backup Exec and one in ESXi itself.