cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exex Quickstart Edition????

Bolivar
Level 3
I am running 1 server with SBS 2008 standard edition. I have a Dell RD1000 external drive with Backup exec quickstart edition.
I am wanting to know what are the limitations for the backup exec quickstart edition.

I will be backing up this one server along with exchange 2007. Exchange is installed on the same server.

I just want to backup the server so I can restore it if a need arises and backup exchange server at mailbox level. I am also backing up redirected profile folders.
can this be done with backup exec 12.5 quickstart edition? do i need to purchase the exchange agent.? do i need to upgrade from
quickstart edition to the full version?

My other question is do I need to backup the shadow files aswell? I am currently just backing up the system state and the d drive with all the data from the users like the profiles, exchange database, and quickbooks. What all should i backup to ensure the ability to restore the server if it crashes?

thanks
Marcus
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Quickstart edition is a basic software, which enables backup of local server to locally attached standalone tape drive, or a single drive robotic library. It does not support addition of any other option or agent. Hence Exchange backup would not be possible with quickstart edition. So, mailbox level backup or restore would not be supported. So, purchasing an Exchange Agent is not an option as you would not be able to add it to quickstart edition of BE. You would rquire SBS edition, which comes with Exchange Agent or BE standard edition and then buy exchange agent separately. Please note that BE Exchange agent would give you database level backup and will give you the ability to restore mailboxes and public folders.

Also, shadow copy components is important for disaster recovery. I would also suggest backing up your system and boot partition, i.e. c:\ and any partition where windows is installed. This backup along with system state backup would be necessary for disaster recovery.

So, if local backup of SBS server is only what you want, along with Exchange backups, would suggest you to upgrade to SBS edition of BE. If you do intend to get additional options for backup of remote servers and more flexibility, you can buy Standard edition of BE, and Exchange Agent separately.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Quickstart edition is a basic software, which enables backup of local server to locally attached standalone tape drive, or a single drive robotic library. It does not support addition of any other option or agent. Hence Exchange backup would not be possible with quickstart edition. So, mailbox level backup or restore would not be supported. So, purchasing an Exchange Agent is not an option as you would not be able to add it to quickstart edition of BE. You would rquire SBS edition, which comes with Exchange Agent or BE standard edition and then buy exchange agent separately. Please note that BE Exchange agent would give you database level backup and will give you the ability to restore mailboxes and public folders.

Also, shadow copy components is important for disaster recovery. I would also suggest backing up your system and boot partition, i.e. c:\ and any partition where windows is installed. This backup along with system state backup would be necessary for disaster recovery.

So, if local backup of SBS server is only what you want, along with Exchange backups, would suggest you to upgrade to SBS edition of BE. If you do intend to get additional options for backup of remote servers and more flexibility, you can buy Standard edition of BE, and Exchange Agent separately.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Bolivar
Level 3
your response was amazing! thanks for responding quickly and for answering all my questions. you make my decision simple. have a great day!

Colin_Weaver
 One other point that might be useful

As far as I know the Quickstart edition uses the same installation files as the Full and SBS editions, just a different serial number - which means you should not have to uninstall and re-install to change it -  just remove the old serial number and enter the new one in the licesing screen

John_Marthe
Not applicable
I am about to set up a simple file server with an attached LTO3 drive.

Would I be able to use the Quickstart edition to back up the shadow copies and system files? Oer would I need the SBS version?

Thanks,
John