cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository..

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository data directory.
The WMI repository could not be backed up.

I have been getting this error for 2 weeks now and every nights backup fails because of it, I have tried the fixes in the knowledge base and have even written a batch file to automatically rebuild the repository on the main server (on which backupexec is installed).

We are using this to back up 7 servers, can someone please tell me if its a different server I should be concentrating on or is it contained to the server backup exec is installed on??

Also can someone please tell me how to get rid of this error as it doesn't seem like veritas' OR microsofts solutions work:/
161 REPLIES 161

Tarsier
Level 2
I've been having this problem also, on two different W2K servers running with SAV10, one server is BE v8.6, the other is BE v9.1 (both fully patched).

I've tried all of the info. in the 2-3 Veritas support docs that refer to this issue - none are at all useful in fixing as has been stated repeatedly by the others who have viewed this thread 2200+ times.

Please explain how this latest post, which tells us how to manually add WMI performance counters, is expected to help with this problem in any way. Isn't it just going to add more data to the WMI Repository, which we will then continute to not be able to back up?

We aren't looking for more WMI data to cause backup failures! We need to be able to use these Veritas products to backup up the WMI data that we all ready have (of course). Preferrably without each Veritas Support Rep. pointing the finger at other software vendors. If we can't backup the data using these Veritas products, then it's a problem that Veritas should take ownership of regardless of the cause - at least to the extent of telling us what the fix is.

For example: Certain APC UPS Software contained code that caused problems with Symantec Antivirus programs (turning off Auto-Protect, etc.) caused by the Java license expiring on July 27th 2005. Symantec could have ignored the problem and not posted any solutions (as the Veritas division seems to be doing with this WMI issue), but Symantec chose to post information that enabled their customers to repair their systems even though the Symantec product was not directly contributing to the problem(s).

Veritas should adopt the same sense of ownership/responsibility on behalf of its customers, and should help us resolve this WMI issue. I'm confident that you (Veritas) will help, eventually, but how many customers will have how many FAILED backup jobs before you get around to it? That's up to you and your decision directly affects your reputation as a backup solution provider.

A little actual help PLEASE...

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
The arrogance of the veritas staff is astounding. The technotes that are littered through this post are such a joke I can't imagine they are actual humans and not robots programmed to give pointless help notes out matching certain criteria.

It's safe to say the only way to get a clean backup during this error is to remove the WMI directory from your selection and back it up on your own.

Calling their technical line has nothing to do with solving this problem, there is more than enough pertinent information in this thread. It's obvious it effects windows 2000 server the most, set up a test machine with a win2k server and add in SAV if you wish, you'll see the error, then you can fix it! genius.

give us a break guys, do some work.

Ray_Kan
Not applicable
Just wanted to chime in my two cents. I have been getting this error for several months and have been rebooting the offending server, it seems to work for a while but always comes back. So I went and did a google search and found this thread. Seeing how it is 6 pages long I had hopes that there would be a solution. After reading through the whole thing I see that Veritas is still clueless. I will continue monitoring this thread but when it is time to upgrade servers I will recommend going with a different software solution since Veritas tech support is practically non existent.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Hello Ray,
Could you give uss the details on the environment you have installed BE in and any error message if any.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Andrew_Karmadan
Not applicable
I hope I resolved this issue. I have Win2k Server, Veritas 8.6, NAV 10 and I had the same situation with WMI.

I noticed that it started on the same day when WMI performed its own backup. I backed WMI up manually and restored the last availabale WMI automatic backup.

Now it works! I think problem was in incorrect state of WMI database.

Of course I remember that somebody has this problem from time to time, so I'll see. But I had this issue every day.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the same

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

thirumal_Rao
Not applicable
Hi all,

We are also facing the same problem in several servers frequently. We found that if the backup fails with the above said error, the WMI service is hung. If you try to restart the service it will not, so after killing the winmgmt.exe using kill command and then starting the service will start. After restarting the WMI Service it is taking the backup successfully. After some days the same happens in the same server, after doing the whole process again the backup goes successfully. This problem is arising on windows 2000 servers and windows 2003 servers.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned in our last reply, the problem that you are facing is complex and hence, requires in-depth troubleshooting. It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident. Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you any further on this through the Forums.
Please contact us through your local support number as mentioned in the link below:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm
* Please note that you may be charged for this service. For the latest details on pricing, please visit:
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
If it can be answered through Direct Assist, which is entirely computer-internet-forum-based, then why can't it be troubleshot by one of you Veritas techs through *this* forum? I know DA has some apps that uploads stats about the server in question, but I'm sure those are separate tools that can be downloaded with the results being emailed to a technician.

Basically, if it can be done through DA, it can be done here. Veritas simply doesn't want to take responsibility and fix a flaw in its own software. It wants the customers to pay for it.

Have you looked at the stats on how many views this page has had? At this point its more than 4300! Veritas should take care of this problem publicly so all can benefit by it -not make customers pay for a DA ticket.

I'm not sure if this is opportunism or just poor technical support. I think Veritas technicians should take responsibility of this matter and get it solved here.

Respectfully,
D.M.

Eric_Treater_3
Level 2
I just read through this ENTIRE thread, and it's some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time.

Had to sign up, just to add my two cents.

WMI backup became a problem for me on August 30. Interesting, I had just upgraded the problem server from SAV 9.0 to SAV 10.0 the week before. I was forced to do an uninstall/reinstall, because a straight upgrade didn't work.The server was NOT rebooted, at the time of the SAV upgrade, rather, it was rebooted that tuesday, when automatic Updates installed some updates and rebooted. BAM! After the reboot, my WMI doesn't mbackup, and each job of the server since then fails, locking up BE, and requiring either a server reboot, or restart of the BE services. So, in my case (as well as several others, it appears here), the problem is some incompatibility between BE and SAV 10.0.

How many of your problems began after an upgrade to SAV 10.0, or the next reboot after SAV10 was installed? I suggest we all try "Chief Bottlewashers" suggestion from page 5:

"Nah, I'm a Symantec tech support wallah, and I'm looking at issues with SAV 10 and the WMI and errors with the BackupExec.
Would you care to try excluding the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository from the autoprotect and see if that helps ? "

I'll do it, and let you know.

Matt_Carter
Level 3
Add me to the list of problems infact in our company 2 other Admins for different locations are having the same problem. For the most part the problem resolves itself for a while but ALWAYS comes back.

Veritas how big does this ticket have to be for an answer?

Are you aware of this global problem?

What steps are taking to resolve this ticket?

And please please please stop producing links that other Veritas Techs have produced. They do not work !!!

We are all having the same problem.

Daniel_Cohen
Level 2
Just thought i'd throw my weight into this as well.

Only 1 server having the issue - Windows 2000, Sp4 and all roll-up patches. NAV 9.0.2 (not yet upgrading to 10 because of issues in other parts of the organisation).

It's been happening for as long as I care to remember, but perhaps now I think back, since installing NAV 9.x?

A solution would be great - but i won't hold my breath by the looks of this thread!

Rob_Desbois
Level 2
We've had the same problem on a Win2k server running BackupExec 8.6. Everything was running fine until last week, when the WMI repository couldn't be backed up. Since then, the WMI service has been completely unresponsive, every night remote backups have gone fine, then local backup hasn't started - th ejob was just active doing nothing.
Having seen the post about SAV, and having upgraded to SAV 10 last week...the night before the fault! We took the given advice and, having rebooted the server to sort out WMI, added the WBEM folder to the auto-protect exclusions.

Result: backup ran last night, absolutely no fault whatsoever!
Hopefully we're not just having a temporary success, but I suggest to anyone running SAV 10 to take this step.
Thanks Eric for the suggestion. Hopefully we won't be back to this forum...

Matt_Carter
Level 3
Well last night my backup ran without fault. But I'm sure it will be back again like it has 3 other times.

The only band aid solution i have come up with is to restart the WMI service. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

I have not seen this problem since going to 9.1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned in our last reply, the problem that you are facing is complex and hence, requires in-depth troubleshooting. It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident. Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you any further on this through the Forums.
Please contact us through your local support number as mentioned in the link below:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm
* Please note that you may be charged for this service. For the latest details on pricing, please visit:
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Pascal_Gervaix
Level 2
"It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident" (...) "Please note that you may be charged for this service."
You should read : "We have spent a lot of time debugging our software and developped a patch, please use our paid support to get it..." Giving the number of people who have read this thread, I guess they hope to make a lot of money on that one !

By the way, we had the same problem on the system of one of our client after : upgrading to Symantec antivirus 10 and applying patches from July and August (windows 2000 server).

Tarsier
Level 2
- Is there really any question as to whether or not the typical caller will be charged a fee for DA? I don't think so; if support for this particular problem will not incur a charge, then you should say so. Otherwise, we have to assume that there will be a fee, since it's a pay service by design.

- How complex can the problem be? Too complex for Veritas Tech. Support to produce a troubleshooting procedure and post it in the Knowledgebase? Seems unlikely.

- Before I'm forced to pay Veritas (Symantec) for a 1-on-1pay-as-you-go troubleshooting session to fix an issue that is obviously a pervasive problem with the Veritas products, I'll a) Stop backing up the wbem folder(s) AND b) find another backup solution/partner.

- The response that essentially means "call us and pay us to help you", is very unsatisfactory and is certainly not customer friendly. The potential "on-hold" time and voicemail tag alone are enough to send me shopping for a better supported product.

NOTE: If we do not receive a more satisfactory response within two business days, this product will be marked assumed unsupported and a replacement will be considered.

Matt_Carter
Level 3
My backup failed yet again because of the WMI service. I really am getting sick of this happening.

It hung up on backing up the webm folder on some .mob file. And had tried to backup that file for hours. From now on i am going to exclude this folder from being backed up.

Guys and girls write back with an alternative solution, because it doesnt look like Veritas Tech support will help!!!!

Dimitri_Putilin
Level 3
Obviously Symantec is not interested in fixing a widespread bug that makes a critical business product useless. This is in line with the problems with Antivirus 10 Corporate, which has also been out for months with no fix available. Moreover, Symantec wants to charge you money and take up your valuable time time to help debug their software. Don't know about you, but this looks like a clear sign that it's time to move on.

What are the other products on the market? At this point, anything that actually completes a backup is a better alternative. Has CA cleaned up its act?

P.S. Based on what I've seen, de-selecting or even *explicitly excluding* the WBEM folder will still result in its being backed up as part of System State (and the job hanging).

Roger_Gray
Not applicable
Add me to the list of victims. Running W2K SP4, BE 8.0 and just upgraded to SAV 10. The very next backup failed, error message "An error occurred while exporting the WMI Repository files". Have tried stopping and starting the BE services to no avail. The funny thing is I have another identical server that had the same error on the first backup after loading SAV 10, but has since worked fine, the only difference is it has BE 8.5. I'll continue to monitor this thread in hopes that a solution will be published.