cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository..

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository data directory.
The WMI repository could not be backed up.

I have been getting this error for 2 weeks now and every nights backup fails because of it, I have tried the fixes in the knowledge base and have even written a batch file to automatically rebuild the repository on the main server (on which backupexec is installed).

We are using this to back up 7 servers, can someone please tell me if its a different server I should be concentrating on or is it contained to the server backup exec is installed on??

Also can someone please tell me how to get rid of this error as it doesn't seem like veritas' OR microsofts solutions work:/
161 REPLIES 161

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
bump!

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

The following document from our support site can be referred to resolved such issues.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253921

Please write to us if the issue persists.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
I have tried everything outlined in this document.
The Manual Backup of the repository reports no errors.
I have also rebuild the database from the commandline.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245125.htm ,
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231742.htm ,
and
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/197660.htm ,
also had no effect on this problem.

Can you please suggest anything else?

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
bump!
Can someone please help me with this?

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
I'm getting the same error message consistently on one of my servers. I also get the error on a couple of other servers once in a while.

The backup jobs seems to stall at the system32\wbem directory. Is this the problem you are getting too?

I'm tempted to separate that folder into it's own backup job just to get the rest of the server to go. Just as a temporary solution because I can't seem to find any solutions. The ones recommended aren't working.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
We just started getting this same error message on one of our Windows 2000 servers. I ran the WMI backup as suggested by the veritas representative in the article above (http://support.veritas.com/docs/253921) to confirm that the problem is with Veritas and not the MS OS and it backed up just fine. Backups have been running fine up until this point. Nothing has changed on the server. This error has started pretty much out of the blue as far as I can tell.

If anyone finds an answer to this, please let us know by posting to this topic.

Thanks,
Don

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
In testing, I just backed up the entire contents of the system32\wbem folder (on its own) successfully.

I'm not sure what that folder is used for. Is it possible that it had a file in use by the OS during the at the point in time which backup exec was attempting to back it up? Why would it fail to backup the contents of that folder last night but work today?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried upgrading the version of Backup Exec from V9.0 to v9.1 ?
If not you may try and check the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Two things: First, we are running 9.1. Second, the error did not reappear. Our next nightly backup ran fine. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I run into it again.

Thank you.

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
We are also running BE 9.1. We are still getting the error on 2 servers.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Arnold,

Do you get the error if you try to backup the system32\wbem folder by itself?

Don

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Mr Farrell,

I would like to know the status of your problem. Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Ajit,

Arnold Rivera is still having this problem. Are you going to close this ticket if Robin Farrell doesn't reply? If so, should Arnold open a new ticket? Or can you leave this open until you solve this problem for Mr. Rivera?

Regards,
Don

SLYNN
Not applicable
I started to get this exact same message on the 1st of June. Nothing has changed on any of my servers and I only get it on a Windows 2000 box. It has happened the 1st, 8th and 14th. Sane backup M-TH and only these days to I get the error.

It has been running fine for almost a year now.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Robin Fareel,

We need an update on this so as to continue troubleshooting if the problem perists

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dave_Clark_4
Level 2
I am having this problem also with version 10.0. Nothing has changed on the server. As of June 1st, the backup either hangs at the WBEM directory, or fails with the error in the title of this thread.

Kaushik_Patel
Level 2
I just started to have the same error as Robin out of the Blue and nothing has change on the servers. Please let me know if any of you find a solution.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
I started to get this same error, Friday, June 18th. Windows 2000 server and Backupexec 10.0. the backup runs fine on its own as stated in the knowledge base. Not sure if it will continue but this is definitely a problem with the BackupExec software & win2k. Hope someone finds an answer.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Is Veritas supposed to be providing an answer to this question? Or are we end users just talking amongst ourselves now?

Their technicians don't seem to be highly motivated to answer this question through the message board. They have excellent phone support, but looks like web isn't so important.