cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository..

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository data directory.
The WMI repository could not be backed up.

I have been getting this error for 2 weeks now and every nights backup fails because of it, I have tried the fixes in the knowledge base and have even written a batch file to automatically rebuild the repository on the main server (on which backupexec is installed).

We are using this to back up 7 servers, can someone please tell me if its a different server I should be concentrating on or is it contained to the server backup exec is installed on??

Also can someone please tell me how to get rid of this error as it doesn't seem like veritas' OR microsofts solutions work:/
161 REPLIES 161

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Look at the stats on this ticket... This is the list of recently-updated forums and how many times they've been viewed... Check out how this ticket has been viewed WAY more than any other ticket out there. It'd be nice to see Veritas really focus on this and get the problem solved.

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI.. 2213
Working with multi-volumes6
Change IDR Location in Backup Exec for SBS 20039
New Hard drives makes backup hang27
Remote Agent for Mac OSX24
Error loading machine specific Intelligent Disaster Recovery information.5
BAckup Error11
The data being read from the media is inconsistent7
Verification of contents of Backup tape16
Creating IDR CD Image4
Completed status: Canceled, timed out14
Log Files50
Veritas update keeps listing installed updates38
error 0x469 physical end of tape encountered when trying to catalog a tape160
Administrator id/password change possible cause of backup failure72

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This error can occur if there is no free space where \%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\BackupExecData\Export\ directory exists.
Refer the following technote for more information:-
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245125.htm

-- You can also refer the following technote:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/197660.htm

If th eissue remains unresolved we recommend you to contact our Voice support as suggested earlier to troubleshoot this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
How could we all have no free space on our main system drive?? I think we'd have bigger problems if we were at 0 MB free..

"This error can occur if there is no free space where \%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\BackupExecData\Export\ directory exists. To resolve this issue, free up at least 5 megs of hard drive space on the partition."

5 megs.. please everyone tell me you have more then 5 meg free?

same old song and dance... does veritas not have a lab with computers running windows server 2000 and their backup product??? how could veritas have never seen this problem?

Chief_Bottlewas
Level 2
Do you have symantec antivirus installed ?

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
I have more than 5 GIGs free on the 2 most problematic servers. And I do have SAV10 installed on all servers. But the problem only happens consistently on 2 and off & on with 4 others. I've removed the wbem folders from the BE backup jobs and created a manual backup to disk job using ntbackup as a workaround. It's not an acceptable workaround since now I have to overmanage my backups.

Funny how the only people asking troubleshooting questions are the non-Veritas/Symantec people.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
I also have at least 5 GB free, and run SAV10. I did the same thing, removing the WBEM from my jobs and then i backup the WBEM on my own seperately.

So for the time being all the backups complete successful, however this is not the way I expected the product to work. I hope these guys get their act together.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
The antivirus angle sounds interesting. Maybe you can try turning off AV during the backup to see if it runs alright.

Sean_Thompson_2
Not applicable
I have the same issue with backups hanging when getting to the wbem folder, the thing I did notice was os updates had been applied prior to this occuring, has anyone else had this.

Chief_Bottlewas
Level 2
Nah, I'm a Symantec tech support wallah, and I'm looking at issues with SAV 10 and the WMI and errors with the BackupExec.
Would you care to try excluding the C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Repository from the autoprotect and see if that helps ?

Tonya_Murray
Level 3
Well, I am having the same problem, but I do not have SAV. I was able to exclude the WBEM directory and get a good backup to run though.

Francis_Tiongso
Not applicable
I dunno if this is true but I heard that you like farm animals.

Trevis_Tagawa
Level 2
i have to chime in just so veritas knows that there is ANOTHER unhappy customer out there. after reading the suggestion about not having enough disk space in the ...\export folder, i checked and saw that the folder didn't exist. i wonder if that's the problem? i just created the folder and am running a job now. will update. aloha, trevis.

Trevis_Tagawa
Level 2
didn't help. job still hung.

Frank_Hieber
Not applicable
I am also having this problem. I am backing up 3 servers.

Server1: W2k, Dell PowerEdge 2500
Server2: W2k, Dell PowerEdge 2500
Server3: W2k3, Dell PowerEdge 2850
AV software: Symantec v10 on all 3 servers

I have plenty of storage space available on all 3 servers. The W2k3 server is the BU Server host. Remote Agent is installed on the other 2 Win2k servers. The job locks up when it hits REGEVENT.MOF file. I've found that the only way to jumpstart the operation is to restart the offending server, which is not an acceptable solution in my opinion. My facility operates 24X7. I can not afford downtime unless it is scheduled at least several days in advance.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Robin,
Your issue seems to be complex, if it is still not solved with so many suggestions.
Due to the complexity of your issue, resolution will require the personal attention of a SYMANTEC representative.
Please contact us through your local support number.
You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:
<>

Please note that you may be charged for this service.
For the latest details on pricing, please visit
<>

SYMANTEC Technical Services also provides an extensive knowledgebase at our support web site. This is the same knowledgebase that our support engineers use to help identify and troubleshoot problems. You may search
our knowledgebase at:
<>
There will be no charge for calls where the problem is found to be a
defect in our product.
===================

Charles_Otstot
Level 3
Interesting...

I stumbled on this thread looking for further info on the same problem. The problem server is running BE 8.6 (I know it belings in the older forum, but I thought it might be relevant).
System Config:
Win 2K, SP 4, fully patched through July patches
BE 8.6, Build 3878
SAV 10.0.0.359, Scan Engine 103.0.2.7

I notice that Veritas seems to be pointing to Symantec for the solution. I checked Symantec's Knowledgebase and there are no articles there yet.

I'll check in tomorrow on the thread.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Charles,
This Forum is for the Version 9.0. Version 8.x and Version 9.x have a lot UNCOMMEN.
Therefore we ask not to paste your 8.x Querry in here...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Caren_Barnes
Not applicable
Where can I find the answer....I have veritas 9.1 with all the updates and patches that have been released up to 8/2005 and I have this same problem. Backup failed: An error occurred retrieving the WMI Repository....This is now happening on most of my servers...I have 4 servers 2 with Server 2003 fully updated and 2 with server 2000 also fully updated. 2 of my servers are running remote backups to 2 other servers as well and 2 others are still backing up fine ( no errors yet)
HELP!!!

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
I think most of us have given up hope of ever getting an answer from Veritas through this forum. This is despite the fact that it's the single most-viewed thread in all Veritas forums (I clicked back through about 20 pages of threads and found only 1 that came close). If anyone ever manages to actually get an answer from Veritas that solves the problem, please post it here.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239922.htm

It would also be better if you open a new case for your issue. Your environment might differ from that of Robin´s.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.