cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failure

abeltran2008
Not applicable

I would like to apolagize if this is a stupid question. I took over support for one of our locations a few months ago, so I don't have  alot of experience with BackupExec 11d. Last month our backups started failing. The tapes we were using were old, so we replaced those. That didn't help. We just got a new tape drive in, I hooked it up, installed the drivers for Server 2003, went into Backup Exec and ran the wizzard to install a new drive, and ran a test. The test ran sucessfully, however my backups are still failing.

This specific server is using LTO 4 tapes and backing up a little under 100 GB of data. The job is set so that if it takes more than 8 hours for the job to run, it will automatically end. Talking to a coworker, its been set up like this for a while. Looking though the job logs, it used to take 6 hours to backup. All the sudden, its taking over 8 hours, so the job is automatically being cancelled. The write speeds have gone from 360-400MB/min to as low as 110MB/minute. There has not been a drastic increase in the amount of data it's backing up.Some days it backs up as little as 30GB, other nights its as high as 88 GB.

In the recent past we had a hard drive and a RAid controller battery fail on this particular server. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I'm grasping for straws. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can go about solving this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the BE 11d HCL below and make sure the drive is listed as being supported:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH46703

If it is, do a search for tapeinst.exe and run it. This will install the Symantec drivers for the tape drive. Then check the backup speeds again.

Also make sure that any AV installed isn't perhaps scanning the BE services, and if so, put in esclusions for them.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the BE 11d HCL below and make sure the drive is listed as being supported:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH46703

If it is, do a search for tapeinst.exe and run it. This will install the Symantec drivers for the tape drive. Then check the backup speeds again.

Also make sure that any AV installed isn't perhaps scanning the BE services, and if so, put in esclusions for them.

Thanks!