cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failure

Level 2
We are getting a backup failure on our terminal server saying that an Outlook Archive.pst file is corrupt. These files are located in the documents and settings folder on the C drive of the terminal server. Advanced Open File Option is set at Never.

I have been excluding these files from our backup as a temporary solution. Can you explain or help?
6 REPLIES 6

Kerm
Level 5
.ost and .pst files may fall into the category with proprietary databases and simply live in the world of hinkiness. Be sure the user's email client is not executing during the backup. Check with the user to see if they're experiencing any email problems. Are these files reported as corrupt for three consecutive backups?

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Sometimes corporate anti virus software will cause backups with email to fail as corrupt. If you consistently get this failures, especially if it is random users, try disabling anti-virus for one backup just to narrow it down if that could be the cause in your case.

Level 2
I found that my Advanced Open File Option was set to never in Tools, Options, Backup. But when I right clicked on the active job it was set to to With a Lock. I set that to Never. The tech note on Veritas had sent me to Tools Options to set this option, which apparently does not affect the current job.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

With regards to the query, it seems that you ar egetting the outlook. pst files as corrupt and skipped.

In order to backup or protect the .pst files, you will have to purchase the AOFO license and install the AOFO component on the machine which is to be supported through AOFO. You will need one AOFO license for one machine.
Please refer to the following technote:
- What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263784.htm

Also refer to the following technote as an additional information:

- When performing a backup operation, the following error:"WARNING: "\***\***\***\***.pst" is a corrupt file.This file cannot verify." is generated

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/229898.htm

We hope this will help.

Thanks

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.