cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failures due to SCSI/Block Size

JimM
Level 3

Hi,

we’ve been struggling with intermittent job failures for months now. We are using BE 11D, Adaptec 29160 SCSI card, Dell PE 1850, Tandberg Data LTO 2 IU Storage loader with an TS400 LTO2 drive.

Jobs randomly fail with block size is incorrect errors or hardware problems. We do receive event ID 9 and 11 in the Windows logs. Drivers and firmware for everything is up to date with the latest versions.

Job ended: Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 9:32:40 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f3 - The block size being used is incorrect.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1, did not respond within the timeout period.

We have replaced the SCSI card, cable, terminator, drive and autoloader and have built 2 new test servers on different hardware and still get the same issues. This happens on all media whether is be old or brand new. The media has never been used with other backup software. I have also disabled Wide negotiation on the SCSI card.

We are currently trying a new model of SCSI card. The jobs can fail at random times with no pattern which makes it even more confusing. This week we ran two full jobs spanning 900GB each over 3 tapes and 2 differentials which ran fine, then today it failed again, this time on relatively new media. I've tried it with NT backup and it worked, although the failures are random, so it's not really a relevant test.

Using TDkit SCSI tests between the devices report no problems and the termination is all the same type. When the jobs run we can see rates of over 1GB a min. The tape drive is the only external device on the chain. We have also tried different PCI slots on the server. We have BE 11D installed in another office and is working fine with the same kit apart from it's a standalone Tandberg SDLT 320 Drive.

BE support have already said that it's a hardware problem and can't help, but as everything has been replaced at least once I'm edging towards thinking it's a compatibility issue with BE and the tape drive?

I've run out of ideas and would be grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions?

Thanks....    

Jim
0 REPLIES 0