cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Full Linux with Oracle - Does it work ?

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Hello.

Probability i will need to make a backup with Backup Exec 2012 in one of my clients and it contains an Oracle RAC on Red Hat. I´m wondering if i do a Full Backup of the entire Linux, Will i be able do restore like the "Bare metal recovery" on windows system or no ? 

I know that i can get some error with the backup of the Database using open files system, but i will do a Database backup too.

Thank you for sharing the information.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

RALUS is not recommended for complete disaster recovery...not sure if you can backup Oracle without the Oracle agent either...

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Hello

I will use the Oracle agent in a separate backup. Thx for the info.

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

RALUS should not be used for complete disaster recovery, You can refer to best practices doc for BE 2012 RALUS. http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74430

As for the Oracle database restore, if the primary aim is to move the oracle database to a new server then you can use the redirect restore functionality for Oracle Agent. Detailed steps can be found in Backup Exec Admin guide on how to redirect restore oracle database to same or different server.

Thanks

Lilavati
Level 4
Employee

RALUS open file option is not for Oracle Agent, it just work for file system backup. But complete recovery of linux system is not supported by this option ( advanced open file option )

Take a backup of oracle database and use redirect restore option for restoring oracle database on another server.

Also, you cannot restore linux database on windows server directly through backup exec, for that you need to convert database file format to windows format through RMAN. 

Thanks,

Lilavati