cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Individual user mailbox in Exchange 2003 server

John_Tsui
Level 3
Hello,

I had backup exec 12.5 running on a windows 2003 R2 server (32bit), it responsible for backing up our exchange 2003 enterprise server (sp2).

How can we enable backup of individual user mailbox? We could browse the backup to exchange mailbox store level, but cannot drill down anymore. The same happen when we are trying to restore email as well, we can only restore the whole mailbox store but not a specific mailbox.

GRT had been enable in backup. What i am missing? thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

HelloWorld
Level 3
Enable the legacy mailbox support from the option menu.

John_Tsui
Level 3
GRT should be able to do this? I see the option said use GRT instead.

HelloWorld
Level 3
As I know, GRT allow you to back entire information store and then restore mailbox individually.

DR0701
Level 5
Hi John

Are you backing up to disk or to tape?  If you use GRT direct to tape, you won't be able to drill down through the individual mailboxes, but if you back up to disk first (then do a duplicate job to back up to tape), you should be fine.

Hope this helps

Doug.

A_ride_4_ever
Level 3
I myself have been wondering how to restore individual boxes using GRT in 12.5 and not selecting the mailboxes in the backup. I have not found a way to restore individual boxes with GRT. anyone know. I have gone over the doc's and it says its suposed to but  no joy.

DR0701
Level 5
As I've said above, if you're backing up direct to tape, then you won't be able to restore individual mailboxes/messages - you'll have to stage your backup to disk first, then if you want it backed up to tape, you'll have to set up a duplicate job to copy it to tape.

John_Tsui
Level 3
The target are backup to disk, however it doesnt work. would be great if i could have it fixed.

robotfog
Not applicable
I have the same issue.  We back up to disk anyway and it doesn't work.  The only possible reason I've found is that a permission is missing for the backup service, but I haven't been able to check that out yet.

arrow_203
Level 4
Strange, I've used GRT direct to tape on Exchange 2003 and am able to drill right down to the message level in the backup catalogs.  Is this perhaps a hotfix issue?

TBone_1985
Level 4
Has the issue with backing up Exchange via GRT to removable disk been fixed?  As I recall, the IMG folders would not overwrite on removable disks.