cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job Rate drop

jtaylor1
Level 4
We have been using "Backup Exex 12.5 for Windows Servers" for a couple of weeks now.  The backup process was set up by the vendor that installed the server.  The Job Rate for the backup was running 1100-1300 MB/min with new tapes.  Now that it has to overwrite the tapes, it's running 500-600 MB/min.  Is this normal?
29 REPLIES 29

jtaylor1
Level 4
Are you asking if the tape unit is attached to the RAID controller?  I imagine that the tape unit is using one of the SAS adapters, but how can I tell for certain?

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Dear Jtaylor,

SAS adapater is one where you connect Harddisk & you have configured RAID !

So its a RAID controller where you have connected the LTO drive............

Take a SCSI card seperately and then see the performance, definately that is the solution....

Regards
KK

Not applicable
Hello J,

Make sure your tape drive is on the higher target id compared to your medium changer.

Configuring your tape drive on the higher SCSI ID Less than 7 may be 6 or 5 should surely improve the  performance of the backup  

kkate
Level 5
Accredited

Dear Jtaylor,,

Any updates............

Please let me know..........

Same issue I had, solved by Installing separate SCSI card

PLease revert

Regards
KK

jtaylor1
Level 4
We have a single server, an external RAID set, and a tape unit.  Under Device Manager, I have a RAID controller and two SAS adapters.  You're certain that the tape unit, instead of the RAID set, is attached to the RAID controller.  How can I tell this for certain?  I need proof to take to management.

jtaylor1
Level 4
I'm not a Windows admin by background, and "higher SCSI ID" is Greek to me.  Can you elaborate, or throw me some references?

jtaylor1
Level 4
Our backup last night had a rate of 351 MB/min.  I ran a representative subset of our backup this morning and it had a rate of 1659 MB/min.  I'm totally confused.  I've never seen a rate that high, and I can't fathom what made the difference.

jtaylor1
Level 4
Last night's backup had a rate of 356 MB/min.  I have no idea what happened to the 1659-2982 MB/min rates I saw yesterday in my testing, and those were during the day when there were users connected to the server.

jtaylor1
Level 4
I have found something interesting.  The internal C: drive consistently backs up at 4 times the rate of the external E: drive.  I tested this by making identical copies of test data on both drives.  That tells me that the tape unit configuration is most likely not to blame.

Hii all, 

I Open again this case :D

I have a problem with duplicate jobs using symantec Backup Exec 15 Version 14.2 Rev.1180

I am using Symantec Backup Exec for backup my server for full backup job to my local disk Backup Server and then duplicate it to another storage on different city the network i am using is 10Gbps.
On my Backup Server i am using iSCSI cable, and also on storage on different city, but i am face trouble that my job rate only have 700MB/min (on job monitoring in Symantec Backup Exec).

that make my duplicate job time is too long, and also my network 10Gbps i can say not using optimaly.

Any suggestions guys? 

Thanks