cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job Rate drop

jtaylor1
Level 4
We have been using "Backup Exex 12.5 for Windows Servers" for a couple of weeks now.  The backup process was set up by the vendor that installed the server.  The Job Rate for the backup was running 1100-1300 MB/min with new tapes.  Now that it has to overwrite the tapes, it's running 500-600 MB/min.  Is this normal?
29 REPLIES 29

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
There might be a way, but I doubt it, and it would probably involve putting in exclusions in View Selection Details of your selection list.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is this normal?

For tape jobs?  No it is not

If these were B2D jobs, I'd suspect the target disk was getting more and more fragmented

Nothing has changed in your environment? 
Was this a gradual decline in throughput or sudden?

jtaylor1
Level 4
Nothing has changed, and the decline was sudden (it was 1368 one day, and 574 the next).

jtaylor1
Level 4
I was going back over it today, and I discovered that I had the date of the slow-down wrong (I was inadvertently looking at the job-end date instead of job-start).  It immediately became clear that the slow-down ocurred the day that we installed our virus scanner.  I'm working with the guy that administers that software on finding a solution.

Thanks

jtaylor1
Level 4
Well, the rate was back up to 715.  That beats the low of 231, but I'd really like to get back to 1100-1300.  We're starting to load data on the server (not during the backup window).  Could that account for why it was only up to 715?

jtaylor1
Level 4
We've tried a number of things to try to restore the backup rate to its original value, but nothing has worked.

We have:
  • Uninstalled the virus scanner
  • Bounced the server
  • Bounced the tape drive
  • Defragged the C:\ drive

teiva-boy
Level 6
 So even with the AV scanner uninstalled, which you thought was the culprit, still the slowdowns?

jtaylor1
Level 4
I'm afraid so.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Plasde check the following possibilities
  1. Check for the network card setting on both servers (backup & remote)
  2. Copy and paste some good amount of data (visa a versa)
  3. Make sure that required ports are open on the firewall (port nos 145 to 150, 10000 & atleast 50 higher range ports - 3000 and above)
  4. If changes are done in firewall then mention these higher range ports in the backup job in network and security option
  5. If AOFO is used then make sure that sufficient free space is available on remote server (recommended 25-30% of data backup)
  6. Set the AOFO folder on different volume than data volume
  7. Make sure that Symantec device drivers are installed for tape drive
  8. Make sure that OEM drivers are installed for SCSI card

jtaylor1
Level 4
1-4. Do those items matter if we use a local, not network, tape unit?
5-6. Advanced Open File Option is not installed.
7. We are currently using the Symantec drivers.  The company that installed the server & tape unit has suggested switching to the hardware vendor's driver.
8. We have multiple entries under 'SCSI and RAID controllers' in Device Manager.  Which card should I check?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1-4    No

8 - the controller for the tape drive but check for the one that owns the disks also

As we said earlier having to overwrite tapes should NOT have any effect on total throughput .   To prove this to yourself, you can re-label a tape and see what kind of throughput you get to that one

Does disk access on that drive/array seem slow other wise, or is it still relatively quick?

jtaylor1
Level 4
8. I have a RAID controller that's using an Adaptec driver, and some SAS entries that are using OEM drivers.

We tried using a brand new tape, and it had no effect on the backup rate.

Other than the backup, performance seems fine.

We switched the tape unit to use the manufacturer's driver, instead of Symantec's, so we'll see what happens tonight.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi

It is not at all recommanded to attach tape drive to RAID controller card. Use only SCSI controller card for the tape drive.

For the disk based backup you can user RAID card but for tape do not.

Also confirm that are you able to see Symantec device drivers version properly? It should not be 5.1. if it is showng you like the way as I said before, the best way to install the device drivers manually. Follow the steps mentioned below for driver installation.

1. Open device manager
2. Expand tape devices
3. Right click and select properties
4. Open drivers tab
5. Click on update drivers
6. Install drivers manually from the following path (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\IDR\Disk4\i386\W2K)
7. Select vrtstape.inf
8. Install drivers
9. Reboot the server

Please check and confirm

jtaylor1
Level 4
I imagine the RAID card is used for the external HDD's that are connected to the server.

Yesterday, our consultant switched the drivers for the tape unit from Symantec to OEM.  We saw a slight drop in the backup rate, but we're going to give it a couple of days before changing back.

jtaylor1
Level 4
Well, using the OEM driver for the tape unit did not improve the situation (the backup rate dropped by over 20%).  Will the 9 steps you outlined work for switching the tape unit back to the Symantec drivers?  It may be days before our consultant can get back here, and management wants the change made ASAP.

superalf
Level 3
jtaylor,

I think you might have answered this, but just to be clear... The server which is being backed up and is backing up slower than before is the same server which the tape drive is attached to? In other words your "backup server" is backing itself up, and this backup is running slow, right? Or are you backing up another server by way of your backup server?

jtaylor1
Level 4
Correct.  There is just one server and one tape unit, both in the same rack.

I went back through the backup logs this morning, and it appears that the problem is related to the SAS-attached RAID set (also in the same rack).  The C: drive is backing up at 2-5 times the rate of the external HDD's.

jtaylor1
Level 4
With only one "blue screen of death" error, I was able to switch back to the Symantec driver.  The tape unit is now showing driver version 5.1.37.0 (under Device Manager).

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Dear Jtaylor,
Everything is fine then why soo.
Check one thing whether your SCSI card at which drive is connected is that only a SCSI card or a RAID controller tooo.
If its both then that the problem.
BE 12.5 doesn't support SCSI with RAID card....
It is possible to make the job rate low and also it might not support you for restoration.
It will not append to the media also..

So please verify RAID + SCSI not support .................
Only SCSI cards  please

regards
KK