cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job can't hold when no idle drive

Spana
Level 4

Dear All,

I have 2 questiongs raise over here to seek someone advice.

question 1:  Backup up job doesn't hold when no idle drive avaiable

I have a dual FC LTO 5 auto loader and connect to Backup Exec 2010 R3 media server, this media server having following license enable:

- Backup Exec 2010 R3 media server

-  Symantec AVVI agent

-  SQL agent

-  Remote agent

I had 2 backup job running together, one of the backup job backup direct to tape and second job backup to disk then duplicate to tape.  Currently i only use 1 drive due to insufficient cartridge. 

My second backup job duplicate to tape fail with error no drive avaiable, this error due the first job direct backup to tape havent finish.  I tested when the second backup job to disk finish and it start to duplicate to tape if no drive avaiable then it fail immediatery.

Why the job can't be hold until the first backup job finish then continue write to tape?  is there license I short to enable that's why causing this problem.

Question 2:

Backup exec console response slow when create and modify backup policy and backup job.  Is there a way i can troublehoot this?

Kindly advice.

Regards,

Lum

11 REPLIES 11

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For the second tape unit in your library you will need a LEO (Library Extension Option) license.

Spana
Level 4

Hi ZeRoCooL,

Let say i only use 1 drive for the both backup job, will the backup job hold?

Regards
Spana

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well i am not 100% sure, but I have a customer with 2 drives in a library (with LEO) and running several jobs at the same time, and they 'wait' for each other to start because there are no idle drives.

So yes, as far as I know they will be put on hold.

Without LEO Backup Exec will only use one drive in your library.

Spana
Level 4

I have another customer using 1 drive however the backup job will wait for the drive and no job fail.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Increase the backup window, backup job will remain in queued status if the drive is not available.

Spana
Level 4

Any one can assist?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it's probably because BE can see 2 drives but only use 1 as you haven't bought the additional LEO.

Do the right thing and buy the LEO license...problem solved. To have 2 drives in a library and only use 1 is massive underkill.

The only other thing I can think of is to link the duplicate job in a policy and configure it to run once the other backup job completes...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Remove the second drive from your library (temporarily).

Spana
Level 4

Thank you very much for ZeRoC00L an CaigV.

I will try if problem solve I will mark as solution.

Regards,

Lum

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Until such time as when you buy the additional LEO licence, you can just remove the 2nd tape drive from the library.  It should not be difficult to do.  All the drives should be hot-swappable.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

That's what I said 20 minutes ago....