cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job completed with exceptions for AD Domain

Ammad
Level 3

Hi,

I am getting the following exception message for Active directory backup job, i have verified

vssadmin list writers

have no errors,

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\DC1\C:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology that you selected cannot snap this volume.  Some reasons for this could be:

- The snapshot provider that you selected does not support the volume that you are trying to snap.  Try selecting the default snapshot provider, and then run the job again.

-A disk that may be greater than 63 Terabytes exists on your computer.  The presence of a disk of this size could cause VSS to stop unexpectedly when it creates snapshots.

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What version of Backup Exec you are using ?

Do you actually have 63TB of disk on the server ?

Have you checked below article?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181090

Ammad
Level 3

i am using Backup Exec 2012, the volume size is less than 300 GB.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Could you let us know what snaphot technology have you set under  Advanced Open File options in the backup job ? ideally it should be Automatically select snapshot technology

VJware
Level 6

Is this the only backup (server) which reports this exception ?

Do you get any error when accessing the shadow copies tab of the disk properties ? Confirm the Backup Exec account, system account have full access rights for these disks..

Ammad
Level 3

I am getting (VSS) failure only on this server (Domain controller). i have assigned Enterprise Admin rights also to verify the permission problems.

AmolB

Could you post output of vssadmin list providers from the DC.

VJware
Level 6

Are these services "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service" and " Volume shadow copy service" disabled or enabled ? And what is the state of these services... Is there sufficient free space for the snapshot & are there any issues accessing the shadow copies tab ?

lastly, do you see any errors / warnings under the event viewer ?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Could you please perform the steps mentioned in these technotes and see if tey help you -

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67073

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138359

Ammad
Level 3

Here its

C:\>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

C:\>

Microsoft Software Shadwo Copy Provider Service       :   Manual    :  Started

Volume Shadow Copy Service                                      :   Manual    :  Started

Free Space                                                                    : 33 GB

There isn't any prblem while accessing "Shadow Copy" Tab.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls confirm if these services show  "started" only during a backup..