cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Linux Vm's

SysCo
Level 3

Hello,

I recently installed backup exec 2014 and I wanted to test how I can backup vm's. When I test the credential on the VM's it doesn't work.

Should I open something on the esxi host ?

Thanks for your help

Yann

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from Admin Guide:-

You cannot test credentials for virtual machines, but the job runs if you provide the correct credentials. If the job fails, you may need to retry the job with different credentials.

Have you run an actual backup job ? Additionally, these are the permissions required to backup VMs - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129645

SysCo
Level 3

I tried to run the backup but I keep getting the error :

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000f04 - The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer.  Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer.  If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Final error: 0xe0000f04 - The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer.  Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer.  If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version.
Final error category: Resource Errors

The Vm is a linux system.

Thanks for your help

VJware
Level 6

Is the Linux agent (RALUS)  installed on the VM ? if yes, is the ralus service running ?

Do ensure ndmp port 10000 is open as well.

Lastly, is the linux system present in the software compatibility list - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217478

SysCo
Level 3

I installed RALUS and opend the port 1000.

I have setup the root esxi username for physical host and the ha-datacenter and used the root username for the linux VM

Still the same result.

Thanks for your help

VJware
Level 6

Are you able to back up this VM using the RALUS agent instead of the VMware agent ?

And is a trust relationship established as well between the BE media server and the VM ? This KB can help in doing so - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH183038

Is the firewall or SELinux enabled ?

And I hope you meant port 10000 and not port 1000

SysCo
Level 3

Yes it worked with the agent. But I still have the error backing up the vm without the agent :

Final error: 0xe0009b61 - Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-39777

Thanks for your help

dss_thinktank
Level 4

In job definitions, have you tried to disable following options:

• "Advanced open file" => "Use snapshot technology"
  • "Virtual Machines" => "Virtual machine Granular Rcovery Technology...".

As far as I know GRT does not work with virtual linux machines. It does not work even if you have ralus agent installed in linux. You can only backup virtual linux machine's vmdk files. If you want to backup individual files of linux, you should install agent and create second backup job for this.