cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Lotus Notes 8.5 on RedHat Linux

Ahmad54
Level 3

I've read in the Backup Exec Admin Guide and the Software Compatibility List that backing up Lotus Notes is only supported on Windows.

However, some people confirm that they are able to use Backup Exec 2012 to back up Lotus Notes that is installed on Linux.

I already sent an email to those people asking them exactly how they can do that, and now I'm waiting for their reply but meanwhile I thought that I might get a faster reply from Symantec Connect members.

The question is, is it really possible to use Agent for Lotus Domino to backup Lotus Domino on a Linux server? maybe it is possible to back up Lotus as a bunch of files and folders, without the need to have the Agent for Lotus Domino installed? can any one confirm that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

As it is not part of SCL Lotus on Linux it is not supported configuration and you will be on your own. Moreover what you install is the license for it on Media server and remote agent is the one which publishes this information to media server about Lotus configuration ......so you can try that or only other way is to backup as flat file those nsf file on domino and see if that works.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

As it is not part of SCL Lotus on Linux it is not supported configuration and you will be on your own. Moreover what you install is the license for it on Media server and remote agent is the one which publishes this information to media server about Lotus configuration ......so you can try that or only other way is to backup as flat file those nsf file on domino and see if that works.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

On Windows, you can only backup .nsf files if you enable the backup of offline files.  This is because .nsf files are automatically skipped by AFE.  On top of this, you have to stop the Domino service before you backup the .nsf files.  Otherwise, when you restore the .msf files, they would be corrupt and unusable.

As you can see, it is already quite a chore to backup Domino without the Domino agent on Windows.  What you are trying to do, adds another layer of complexity to the problem.

Ahmad54
Level 3

Thank you guys for your inputs. I received the reply that I was waiting for. They said the same thing; it's only possible to do a backup as flat file the dominos database files. This of course would require a downtime, which is not acceptable for a mail server in a production environment.

Thank you again for your posts