cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup NMDP con restuaracion a windows

jmferpa01
Level 0

Dear, I currently have Backup exec 2010 and a storage of netapp, I need to make a backup of the data files to be able to restore them in a windows, respecting, structure and current permissions of the shared folders. I want to know if you can help me set the necessary configuration to restore in this new structure. From already thank you very much.

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not possible

1) NDMP option backups have to be restored to an NDMP device from the same vendor (and in some cases running the same operating system version)

2) CIFS / Share Level backups can be used to protect data on an NDMP device and then be restored to Windows however the Access Control List information for the folder structure may not be available via the shares as typically it is the action of our remote agent that captures this - and the remote agent won't be running on the NDMP device. So in effect what you get by backing up over CIFS and then redirect restoring to Windows would potentially be the same as what you get if you just copy the files via shares from the NDMP device to your Windows Server.

Note: Backup software is not designed as a migration tool between types of Operating System, so expecting to use any backup software for such a task will always have some limitations.

Extra Note: if you were presenting LUNS from your NDMP device to Windows Servers then you should not back them up using NDMP anyway, you should back them up using our remote agent installed onto the Windows server that uses the LUN (and then of course you can restore to another Windows volume as a redirect, AND as long as same active directory is involved also restore the security information)