cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Netapp CIFS Shares with BE2012

Apur32
Level 3

I have just installed BE 2012 to backup my newly installed Netapp FAS 2220A. When I try to add a new job on the Netapp filer name it does not recognize the username/password but can see Netapp as a server and Access is denied ( full access for everyone is configured on the Netapp share ).

It is Keep on asking for a username/password even after providing the domain admin account.

If I try to access the same name\share of the Netapp from Run command I can access it without any problem.

Any idea where is the problem.

Apur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you don't have the NDMP option, you must check this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60554

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you don't have the NDMP option, you must check this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60554

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, if you backup the shares you need a RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows) installed on the Backup Exec server, see the note below the tech article I gave.

NOTE: In addition to the above configurations, Backup Exec also requires that at least one Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) license is installed on the media server.

If you want to backup through NDMP (much quicker) you need the NDMP agent installed.

Apur32
Level 3

ZeRoC00L,

Thank you very much for the reply. After disabling the NDMP on Netapp BE2012 can not access the Netapp shares at all.

Do I need an agent on the BE 2012 Media sever too?

Apur32
Level 3
I have installed an agent on media server. I can see all of my agents in the option of install the agents on remote servers. How can I check the agent on Media server? 2nd question: How can I remove the agent from existing server and install on media server? With NDMP enabled I can see the share and try to back up but got an error about license as expected. When I try to do without NDMP, BE 2012 can not even see the server. Do I need to add the server again? Or add like \\servername\sharename? Apur

Apur32
Level 3
I have installed an agent on media server. I can see all of my agents in the option of install the agents on remote servers. How can I check the agent on Media server? 2nd question: How can I remove the agent from existing server and install on media server? With NDMP enabled I can see the share and try to back up but got an error about license as expected. When I try to do without NDMP, BE 2012 can not even see the server. Do I need to add the server again? Or add like \\servername\sharename? Apur

Apur32
Level 3

Apur32
Level 3

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Apur, Q. I have installed an agent on media server. I can see all of my agents in the option of install the agents on remote servers. How can I check the agent on Media server? Ans In order to what agent and options you have installed ,please click on install options and license keys and you will see licenses added there and click on next to see what options you have checked like Application database ...etc. Moreover any licenses are only installed on media server and only remote agents are installed on remote server. Below link describes the snap of options installed in BE2012 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179956 Q. 2nd question: How can I remove the agent from existing server and install on media server? With NDMP enabled I can see the share and try to back up but got an error about license as expected. When I try to do without NDMP, BE 2012 can not even see the server. Do I need to add the server again? Or add like \\servername\sharename? If you are mentioning if ndmp option is installed on media server and when you are backing up your filer via ndmp agent then can you provide the job log or exact error message. Also when you are backing up only CIFS share on filer without ndmp agent ,then please add the fqdn name of filer and then it will list shares for you to backup. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189560 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183832 Thanks

KRedd
Level 3

Change the default NDMP port number used by the Backup Exec to a port other than port 10000.

follow this tech article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24256

Make a change on the media server and check whether its working or not?

** NOTE** Changing the NDMP port on the Windows Media Server will require changing the NDMP port on all Remote Agent Servers running the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows.

Apur32
Level 3

Hi Kumar,

This has solved my problem.

You are a star.

Thank you

Apur

KRedd
Level 3

Hi Apur32

Thanks for that wonderful comment

The real star is ZeRoC00L who gave such a wonderful tech note in the 1st reply . I just gave a small part of information which is is crucial to be checked cool

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks

Apur32
Level 3

Hi ZeroC00L,

You are amazing with your answers.

Apur