Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Notifications Problem

ShellUK
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

We have an issue where notifications are not coming through on the backup job when it completes (normal run or test run). It comes through ok when you do a test though from the receipients settings.
This is Backup Exec 10.1 on a Windows Server 2003 SBS Server with Exchange.

I have tried:
- Using SMTP and MAPI - no difference
- Ticking notifications both with in the job and globally under Tools > Assign Recipients to Alert Categories - no difference
- Recreated the receipients (both individually and also using a distribution group instead
- Note: 1 receipient is internal and nothing external, and neither receipients receive the notification
- Tracked in Exchange but the ones which don't appear don't apear in the tracking either, just the "test" ones.

Thanks for you help
Michelle
8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using SMTP authentication?

If you are turn it off and if you must enable some form of security, try securing the connector to the IP address of the media server instead of using a login name.

For some reason you can run into an issue with Authentication where the test button in recipients works - I suspect that is because the test button never tries to use credentials anyway and anonymous SMTP is possibly already allowed.

Oh and one other thing don't try and configure MAPI and SMTP at the same time - would suggest only SMTP don't bother with MAPI (which I think needs Outlook installed on your BackuP Server as well - which is potentiallty a bad idea on an SBS server.

ShellUK
Level 3
Partner

Colin, it's not anything like that - as I said the test notifications (from Tools -> Recipients -> Choose the recipient -> Properties -> Choose SMTP or MAPI -> Click on Test) work fine to both receipients. They just don't "execute" it seems when the job completes though.

Thanks,
Michelle

Colin_Weaver
OK possibly a poor explanation

The Test Button might not use the credentials even though you have entered them - so if the SMTP connector on your mail server allows both anonymous and authentication, the test button will work.

Then when you come to send from your job it will try and ONLY use the authentication method and will not work.

As such my question stands - Have you configured the SMTP settings in Backup Exec so that it is trying to use a password?

ShellUK
Level 3
Partner

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the explanation. I see no where to enter credentials so they have not been entered. Keep in mind though that the same happens if I use MAPI instead (turning off SMTP when I do it! :)).

Thanks,
Michelle

Colin_Weaver

Ok if you can't see anywhere to enter login information then you are not looking in the correct place - and although a password might not be a good idea (as I don't think it will work) you do have to enter a sender address in the same screen.

The steps  might be different in 10D but in BE 2010 you got  to Tools --> e-mail and pager notification. Click on SMTP tab, make sure Enable.is checked, enter the address of yoru mail server,  make sure a sender name and e-mail address is entered and don't enable Authentication.

Then on the Tools Menu again select recipients to confuigure the e-mail addersses of where to send to (it is the Recipient detail that has the test button)

Oh and regarding MAPI, I think it might need Outlook to be installed on the Media Server - but if the media server is running Exchange - which a Small Business Server would be - then Microsoft themselves don't think it is a good idea to install Outlook - so I would not try MAPI in a SBS configuration.

ShellUK
Level 3
Partner

I am looking where you have said, where you specify server name, sender, etc and there is no SMTP authentication section (I have Googled and seen a screenshot, it doesn't show that bottom section in 10d).

I think I may have solved it though! Shall report back tomorrow when I can confirm :)

It was set to a maximum of 1 alert per 1 minute and for some reason this was stopping any going through, not just 1. Increased it to the default 5 per 5 minutes and test job runs now work (which weren't before, just the recipient test was working).

Thanks for the help.
Michelle

Colin_Weaver

Hmm Ok I guess that means Authentication was not an option in 10D - sorry did not have that version in front of me to check.

ShellUK
Level 3
Partner

Ah, I spoke too soon!

Yes it did work.. until we had an night where no tape was put in so lots of notifications.. and we've had no notifications again since!

It's like it's not resetting the number of notifications it has sent?

Thanks,
Michelle