Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Backup On IBM LTO4 800/1600

Mr_R
Level 4
Partner

Backup On IBM LTO4 800/1600

Dear Forum,

Need solution, Our cutomer using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and they have backup on IBM LTO4, they have problem cannot backup to LTO4, is there any link or guide to configuring this, or they have miss configure of this setting. see problem details bellow,

Problem is as follows:
1. Backup data can not be more than 800GB Error "cartridge full" error when I use IBM LTO4 cartridge uncompressing 800GB / 1600GB with compress the data, before my migration to Symantec backup, NTBackup Win Server 2003 R2 support more than 900GB backup
2. Symantec backup can not read the backup file be created by NTBackup so I'm very difficult to restore the data be created by NTBackup for Installation Symantec Backup automatically disable the function of NTBackup and service "removable storage"
3. We detail the following Server
- The main server as the main server DRCILW16 installed Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and IBM LTO 4 tape backup
- Symantec Agent is installed on the server DRCILW17
- Both servers are using OS Win server 2003 R2

Waiting soon for the Solution, and thanks before.

Regards

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

800GB is the native uncompressed capacity of a LTO4 tape.  It might be that your data are already compressed, like zipped or movie files.  If you try to compress data which are already compressed, you can end up with more data than you have started with.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

To test whether your hardware compression is work, create a directory and fill it with text files.  Backup this up and you should see good compression ratios if your hardware compression is working.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

800GB is the native uncompressed capacity of a LTO4 tape.  It might be that your data are already compressed, like zipped or movie files.  If you try to compress data which are already compressed, you can end up with more data than you have started with.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

To test whether your hardware compression is work, create a directory and fill it with text files.  Backup this up and you should see good compression ratios if your hardware compression is working.