cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Operators cannot browse backup selections

bryanwb
Level 2

I have newly installed Backup Exec 2010R2 on Windows Server 2008 64-bit.  

I created a set of backup jobs as administrator. I added our backup operators to the windows groups Backup Operators and Remote Desktop Users. 

For whatever reason, the backup operators cannot change the jobs I created nor can they create new ones. When they try to create a backup or restore job, they "access denied" errors when browsing backup targets. 

If I make them local administrators, the problem goes away. Unfortunately, this is against our security regulations

Please advise! this is a big issue! tks

9 REPLIES 9

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From the Admin guide:

Required user rights for backup jobs

To perform any backup operations, the following Windows user rights are required for the service account and any Backup Exec logon accounts:

Act as part of the operating system

Create a token object.

Back up files and directories.

Restore files and directories.

Managed auditing and security log.

Logon as a batch job (only for Windows Vista and later).

Check whether the accounts created by you have the above mentioned privileges or not...

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Bryan,

Read the article I wrote below...I use this to give the site reps we have access to Backup Exec.

See if it helps you in any way...

Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

bryanwb
Level 2

thanks Kiranji but that isn't the problem. The service account and logon accounts are doing great. The problem is when a Backup Operator (member of local Backup Operator group) logs on. The backup operator is using the BEX logon account, which seems to be configured correctly. The backup jobs i create run on schedule w/ out issue so the BEX logon accounts must be correct.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi bryan,

But the account by using which you are logging into the backup server, should have sufficient privileges to browse all the machines in the network (Domain Administrator), i believe. The other accounts can see the backup jobs status and monitor BE. (From the screenshot attached by you) The user have privileges to browse the backup server, that's why you are able to see backup server's local drives. Hope i am not confusing you..

Regards..

RRE
Level 6

Hi Bryan ,

Please refer the following document & see if it helps

Make sure that the logon a/c should be in this format "Domainname\username"

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74365

Note - I just checked the screen shot & wanted to suggest that you can backup your resource from

bryanwb
Level 2

hmm, but w/ Backup Exec 2010R2 installed on our Win 2003 server, our Backup Operators are not able browse all the machines on the network but they are able to able to browse the backup jobs. 

bryanwb
Level 2

thanks RRE, the logon a/c is in this format "Domainname\username"

also, the problem is not limited to my own server but to all servers :(

RRE
Level 6

Did You reffered the doc

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74365

It will also tell you how to edit the domain policy

Thanks

Sir_Fang_the_Gr
Level 3
Employee

Inside backup exec, under Network, Logon accounts, you have a list of credentials used for configuring backup jobs.  When you enter them, you can select restricted or not.  Restricted accounts can only be used by the person who entered them into the application.  Choose a network logon account that works on all systmes and do not make it restricted.  Now, anyone who logs into the server can use this account to create and run backup jobs.