cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Over SAN with single backup server

Jason_Skaggs_2
Level 2
Hello,
We have a single backup server running backup exec 10.0d in an EMC SAN environment. We have the SSO license and I am wondering if this can be configured to run over the fibre connections. The LTO tape drive is also on the SAN as is the back up to disk folder (backup to disk then duplicated to LTO). Currently we have been running over the network and I want to know what steps i need to do to run it over the Fibre, some questions I have are:

Do I need to add the drives to the server? Do I set the server as Primary SSO even though there is only 1? Will it still go over the network for servers no on the SAN? What options do i need to change to make it run smooth? What is the restore like with this option?

We have a file cluster, exchange, SQL, and oracle servers running.

Thanks in advance for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

Jason_Skaggs_2
Level 2
Another question, If i backup the exchange databases over the fibre is it going to reset the logs?

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
Hi Jason,

I believe what you are asking will highlight a significant issue with Backup Exec SSO.

The Backup Exec server does need to be the Primary. The reason for this is that for the backups to go across the SAN entirely, each and every physical server needs to backup it's own resources to the shared library. In other words, you will have to physically install and run the full Backup Exec product on each machine.

And of course, you will need to license each installation accordingly.

Sorry about the bad news on that one...

Steve

Jason_Skaggs_2
Level 2
Thanks for clearing it up steve, I was more than half expecting to recieve an answer along this lines. Most of the information on SSO that I found was not to clear and missing facts, besides the fact that from what I've heard that SSO just don't work like they say it should.

Thanks

Al_Capone
Level 4
We are running SSO since BE91 on 2 differents SAN and it works like a charm...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You may want to read the White Paper at http://www.veritas.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=184767&a_id=10457&