cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Policy Strategy Help - Template for Erasing Media?

MixedMindz
Level 3
Maybe I'm approaching this wrong...

the overall goal is to get some critical data off-site daily.
I would like to only backup the source(agent) only once.

I am setting up a Policy which
  1. backs-up Source to a temporary B2D device. (both weekly full and daily incremental source jobs in policy)
  2. duplicates the source backup set to a removable device drive Pool (external USB3.0 drive) (media set has 1-week overright)
  3. dulpicates the source backup set to a tape library.

At this Point I'd like to either delete the B2D files or erase them off of the temporary B2D location.

I'd then like to rinse, repeat with the next selection list.

When a backup set is duplicated is the archive bit set?
(maybe script something to delete files that have been backed up as part of a post command of the Duplicate to tape job?

Up for suggestions...

Thank you,

-Ryan
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When a backup set is duplicated is the archive bit set?

No

All a DUPLICATE job does is copy the backed up data to another tape or B2D folder, in a format that allows restore from the second device.  It does not affect the original data at all

maybe script something to delete files that have been backed up as part of a post command

if you create an "archive" job, then the original data is deleted after a successful backup, but again, DUPLCATE does not affect the original data in any way

At this Point I'd like to either delete the B2D files or erase them off of the temporary B2D location.

Why?  Is the data sensitive enough to warrant this?  If you manage your OPP (Overwriter Protection period) properly, backup Exec will reuse the BKF files in the B2D target when the next job(s) runs

MixedMindz
Level 3
Thank you.

This is the first I've heard of an archive job.
How is that done?

The Temporary B2D Space is only 1TB.
And all together the fulls run ~1.5TB (Different Selection Lists)
Once they''ve been put to tape and USB I'd like to make room for the next backup.

These jobs would happen the same day.
A media set with an overwite protection based on whether the media had been backed up would be perfect.

The data isn't sensitive in a security standpoint more than all the billable hours in a day.
Their previous backup strategy sent tapes off site weekly.
It was decided certain project data needs to be brought offsite nightly.

With the choice of DSL or T1s in the area so internet based options are out.
And there is no onsite staff competent to give access to backupexec / the tape library.
I've been working on the removable USB device Pool as an easy option for the staff there.

The 1TB Temp B2D is used as a spot to 'cache' the original backup and and copy to the destination Media.

I'm also curious to see how the USB3.0 drives compare to regular backups to my array and library.
Maybe I can cut out the Temp drive and go USB to Tape.

Thanks for you help on this.