cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Policy

anupnair
Level 0

Hi All,

I am new to Backup Exec. We have Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 configured with a Dell Power Vault LT4000.

We would like to have a policy as below:-

Daily Backup : 1-31 Incremental. All daily backups for the complete month should be written to the same tape and we want to take out the tape after finishing the last day backup for the month and keep it off site.

Weekly Backup: Every Thursday night( since Friday, Saturday is week end for us) Full backup written to the same tape for the complete month. We want to take out this tape and keep off site after the last weekly backup by marking the week of the Month and Year on Tape.

Monthly Backup: Run on first Saturday of every month, Full backup written to the same backup set ( may be 2 tapes) and taken out after the year and kept off site by marking the details on the tape.

Desktop Laptop Option: We are taking backup of Workstations which stores some important working data of the users using DLO option of BE and written to the Disk on backup server. We want to run a full backup of this DLO backup every month and keep it off site marking the details.

Could any of the experts please tell me how can we do this configuration?

Your help will be highly appreciated!

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Best thing to do is partition your library.

You'd have a partition for your Incremental job, your Weekly job, your Monthly job, and your DLO.

Now...depending on how much data you're backing up, it's going to dictate how many slots you put into each partition.

For your monthly job, you can put in 12 slots. For your Incremental jobs, make it how ever many slots you want, but make sure your OPP and append periods are correct so that it writes to 1 tape only! Otherwise dedicate 1 slot to it...

I'd make DLO I'd also partition 12 slots...the same as with Monthly.

For Weekly, however many slots you want, depending on the size of your full backups.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV

Hi there,

Best thing to do is partition your library.

You'd have a partition for your Incremental job, your Weekly job, your Monthly job, and your DLO.

Now...depending on how much data you're backing up, it's going to dictate how many slots you put into each partition.

For your monthly job, you can put in 12 slots. For your Incremental jobs, make it how ever many slots you want, but make sure your OPP and append periods are correct so that it writes to 1 tape only! Otherwise dedicate 1 slot to it...

I'd make DLO I'd also partition 12 slots...the same as with Monthly.

For Weekly, however many slots you want, depending on the size of your full backups.

Laters!

CraigV

Hi,

Have you come right here?