cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup QNAP to LTO 5 Tape

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a backup job that will backup a network share on a QNAP (the share contains VEEAM Backup data).

I can remotely browse to the share through \\IPADDRESS\backups but can not work out the best way to point Backup exec to that share to get it onto the tape..

Any advice is greatly appriciated.

Matt

DETAILS:
we're running Backup exec 2010 R2 and trying to backup a QNAP that is not on the domain (preferably we'd like to keep this that way)

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can open up your selection list and put in an entry for \\IP_Address\Share. BE won't backup network shares presented to a server, so this would be the way to do it.

You can either add your BE service account to the QNAP's local users if it integrates into AD, or put in the QNAP's admin account details within BE itself.

Thanks!

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Thanks Craig, when adding the qnap user to BE would that be in Network > Logon accounts?

Would this need to be in the format QNAP\username (QNAP is the workgroup name on our QNAP).

Many thanks for your help

Regards

Matt

teiva-boy
Level 6

I just hope your QNAP is fast enough to stream your LTO5 tape drive.  Too slow and your drive and tapes will wear out prematurely.  As long as you can sustain about 30MB/s at a minimum, you'll be fine.  I will warn you that this is tough even for enterprise NAS devices.  So a QNAP might not cut it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can try the name, but I find that in this case, I suggest you use the IP address.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Strange, when testing the credentials from within the job it reports a communications failure but when doing a test backup to test the credentials it passes... I'll run a job now to test it properly thanks.

As for the speed if it's not up to it there are some suppliers that are going to have some nasty questions (backed up by emails of assurance) to answer - they supplied both the QNAP and the tape drive!

Thanks for your help

Matt