cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Rate slow

jillianl
Level 2

currently use backup exec 2014 to backup our existing hyperv and hyperv cluster environment.  I am experiencing slow backups in certain circumstances and I am wondering if anyone can add some insight.

If I schedule a onetime backup on 1 virtual machine (snapshot) only I get some pretty good throughput (anywhere fro 2000MB per minute to 4000MB per minute).  if I run a scheduled backup on the hyperv server that has multiple VM's scheduled to be backed up and run that I am getting about 400mb per minute.  of course if there are multiple backups running then the throughput goes down to 200 to 300 mb per minute.

any thoughts on how I can get better throughput?  I have to say I am puzzled as whe I run a onetime backup things run fine.

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

is this to do with when it is scheduled

i.e. instead of a one time backup set you schedule for 5 minutes time (at a similar time of day to when you were testing your one time backups) if that goes fast then something in the environment at the itme you have been scheduling your backups for is slowing things down.

Note this something might be against the Backup Exec server or the Hyper-V host(s)

jillianl
Level 2

I ran the one time backup and then the scheduled task within 5 minutes of each other