cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Restoration Data Staging

SynBackups
Level 3

Hello,

I am currently working to restore a small directory. During the restore process the job has failed due to insufficient space to stage. I was able to get the job to complete. But, I had to build a 1TB drive on my SAN and attach it to my Backup Exec Media server via iSCSI.  During the restore job the SAN became completely bogged down and would not allow users to log into their virtual environments. The restore is going from TAPE to a Redirected File location on the Media Server. Backed up Drive Size where the Directory resides is 1.4TB. During the restore there were no other jobs running on the Backup Exec Media Server.

Question 1: How much data needs to be staged?

Question 2: Do I need to stage Data? (Is there a way to set up my restorations to be direct?)

Question 3: Is it normal for a restoration using my configuration to bog down the entire SAN?

Backup Exec Software Version

• Backup Exec 2010R3
  • Backup Job is performed using the VM Agent (VMWare)

Backup Exec Media Server Information

• Server only used for Backups
  • Windows 2008R2 64bit
  • 4 CPU
  • 8GB RAM

Dell TL2000 Autoloader

• 2 LTO5 drives
  • Connected via iSCSI to the Backup Exec media Server

Dell Compellent SAN

• 1TB drive for Staging Mounted  to Backup Exec Media Server
  • Mounted via iSCSI
  • Down to 12% space after the 1TB Staging drive was created and attached to the Media Server.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Question 1: How much data needs to be staged? While doing GRT restore from vmdk it will stage the entire VMDK first to staging location and then perform the restore ,once the restore is done it will delete this from the staging location Question 2: Do I need to stage Data? (Is there a way to set up my restorations to be direct?) Yes you have to stage data when doing GRT restore from tape ,alternative would be to do duplicate job from tape to disk and then perform restore from disk which will not require Amy staging ,but then to duplicate it will require the same amount of space as staging only advantage is that if restore fails staging has to be done again and it is time consuming when you are staging this big amount of data so it is good to duplicate and then do restore To create duplicate job check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544 Question 3: Is it normal for a restoration using my configuration to bog down the entire SAN? It should not actually but then it would be to do something with the configuration check the Antivirus setting and also you can isolate this by connecting the USB drive locally to media server which is is from than 2 TB and free.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Question 1: How much data needs to be staged? While doing GRT restore from vmdk it will stage the entire VMDK first to staging location and then perform the restore ,once the restore is done it will delete this from the staging location Question 2: Do I need to stage Data? (Is there a way to set up my restorations to be direct?) Yes you have to stage data when doing GRT restore from tape ,alternative would be to do duplicate job from tape to disk and then perform restore from disk which will not require Amy staging ,but then to duplicate it will require the same amount of space as staging only advantage is that if restore fails staging has to be done again and it is time consuming when you are staging this big amount of data so it is good to duplicate and then do restore To create duplicate job check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544 Question 3: Is it normal for a restoration using my configuration to bog down the entire SAN? It should not actually but then it would be to do something with the configuration check the Antivirus setting and also you can isolate this by connecting the USB drive locally to media server which is is from than 2 TB and free.

SynBackups
Level 3

Thank you, I just needed to verify my information. I appreciate the followup.