cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup / Restore Oracle schema with BE 2014 (expdp / impdp)

hdablin
Level 3

One of my customers uses Oracle as a database for his Accounting System. He uses RMAN scripts to backup and restore data. For Export:

expdp system/xxxxxx DIRECTORY=DUMPFILES SCHEMAS=cen DUMPFILE=$dmpfile LOGFILE=$logfile

For Import:

impdp system/******* DIRECTORY=DUMPFILES REMAP_SCHEMA=cen:realise DUMPFILE=cen_201103040700.dmp LOGFILE=cen_201103040700.log

Can we do all that things (schema/objects export, import and remap) natively with Backup Exec? If yes, where can I find the info and guides? I don't have an Oracle experience, so please sorry for such a dumb question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Using the BE interface, you can setup to backup & restore information such as Oracle DBs, tablespaces, control/data files. However, afaik, one cannot backup & restore schema using BE.

Secondly, if you run expdp and impdp commands to dump the Database, then same can be achieved by a backup via BE.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

Nopes, not natively via Backup Exec as these are built-in Oracle commands.

And the Oracle backup via Backup Exec can be done in two ways. One is DBA initiated via the RMAN console which involves running scripts from the RMAN console and the other is running directly from the BE console itself.

hdablin
Level 3

Thank you for the reply! But can we achieve the same results (as running these command) via native BE interface?

VJware
Level 6

Using the BE interface, you can setup to backup & restore information such as Oracle DBs, tablespaces, control/data files. However, afaik, one cannot backup & restore schema using BE.

Secondly, if you run expdp and impdp commands to dump the Database, then same can be achieved by a backup via BE.

hdablin
Level 3

Thank you! I'll try to do it next week. Will post the results here.

hdablin
Level 3

Yes, your info is completely right. Thank you again.